Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small tiller recomendation

Posted by exmar 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 18:13

Hi Folks,

New here, so apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

My situation is that my small tiller, 2HP, 2cycle craftsman died (broken gears in the tranny) after 12 very dependable years. Due to it's age, and the fact that it was manufactured by AMF, no parts are available, EXCEPT for the entire tranny from Sears for $149 plus S&H.

My application is primarily tilling between rows in the veggie garden and occasionally spot tilling in the wife's flower beds. I have a large rear tine beast for the "heavy hauling."

I'm thinking of a 2 cycle mantis due to warranty and "everyone" loves them. Anything else out there of interest? Honda was into small tillers but they seem to have disappeared lately?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small tiller recomendation

sears has a small 2 cycle unit for around $220 .... Ain't pushing that particular brand - and you might find something better suited to you with just a google search for "tiller"

Here is a link that might be useful: sears tiller

o

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 19:59

Also look at the Stihl Yard Boss mini-tiller "system" (2-stroke) for approx. $320 that takes other heads like brooms, aerator, dethatcher, edger, etc. and the Mantis of course. Check out link below. Also check out this '05/'06 thread on the different mini-tillers here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg0622120812337.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Stihl Yard Boss Video

o

Is Honda gone? I've had a Honda FG100 (4-cycle engine) for several years, well pleased with it. Friend has had a 2-cycle Mantis same amount of time; he's happy with that. We both agree that we prefer the 4-cycle; other than that, the machines are about equal. I think Mantis now offers a 4-cycle, so you might consider that.

o

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure about the small Hondas, I don't see them around here (SE Ohio) anymore and Googling Honda FG tiller doesn't get any sales hits. Personal opinion/quirk, I like "purpose built" machines, and the Stihl with all it's options goes contrary to my thinking somehow.

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here