Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbiey_gw

Tri-Color Beech

barbiey
10 years ago

I have been searching for a tri-color beech since the first time I saw one approx. 7 yrs. ago. It was at a Home Depot for $100 and I passed. Haven't seen one since. I want this tree for my front yard, which is a slightly sloping, morning sun/afternoon shade area on a street of many homes. I loved the tri-color not only for it's beauty, but for the fact that nobody on our street has one. I have always tried to select unique trees/shrubs that were not commonly used by everyone else.

My problem is two-fold. The first, is that I can't find one and I am afraid to use mail order as it has always been a nightmare in my previous experience. Secondly, I have been reading on this site about how the leaves turn ugly brown and dry after spring. I want my tree to be a showpiece and now it looks like it is only a showpiece in the spring. Is this really accurate?? I drive past one at a church and have never noticed it ever looking bad. I really need some good advice on this.

Also, if not the tri-color beech, then what other unique, ornamental tree could I plant? I would want something different than what everyone else has: Jap. Maple, Bradford pear, weeping cherry, red bud, dogwood & etc....I live in Zone 6. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

So you've read then, that it can grow quite large? It doesn't turn brown and dry unless it is having a problem. What it does often do is become less variegated with age, and fade to bronze during the summer - as many older kinds of purple-leaved trees, that are not more recently selected, or for other reasons more decisively deep, lasting purple. In short, it's a variegated copper beech rather than a variegated purple beech. Over time what you tend to end up with is a copper beech with some pink highlights. Sometimes the pink-and-white effect disappears within a few years after planting, resulting in mystification and consternation.

• bajafx4
    10 years ago

I love the Tri-color Beech. I noticed one in my neighborhood about three years ago and have done some research on it. I found the same thing you did about the leaves turning brown. However, since my discovery of the first Tri-Color Beech, I've found three more at other homes that I drive by fairly often. I've been paying attention to all four of them during all seasons and I haven't noticed the burned leaves that we've read about... and last summer was HOT here. I think I've paid attention to them long enough to plant one of my own. I have a local nursery that usually has 1 or 2 in stock that are about 6-7ft. tall and they sell them for $180.

As far as unique trees go, I'm also keeping an eye out for some sort of paperbark tree. I don't hardly ever see them in my neighborhood and I think their trunks look really cool.

Good luck in your searches.

• bajafx4
    10 years ago

I agree with bboy. Of the trees I've been paying attention to, the larger they are, the less variegated they are. However, even the good sized ones are more appealing to me than a Copper Beech. The one closest to my house is a little larger than the one linked and still has great bright pink leaf tips... not much white though.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:372813}}

• drrich2
    10 years ago

If you have an interest in 'paper barked' trees, check into Paperbark Maple, Trident Maple and maybe Korean Stewartia (I suggested Korean since it's reputedly more drought tolerant than others, but if that's not an issue for you, Japanese Stewartia is also an option).

Richard.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Mail order a small one if you can not find one locally.

Oh, I think the new "tri colors" do better up in coler climates than mine. Ken has a great one. Here are a couple pics of decent ones I found in St Charles MO the other day.

• barbiey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. and beautiful picture.....makes me remember why I have been looking for one for so long. BBOY noted their large size although I assumed by the ones I have seen and info. read that they were not that large of a tree. Although, maybe the ones I have seen have been trimmed to keep it on the smaller side. Would this pose a problem for the TCB?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Sizable specimens were being reported from PA and NY some time ago.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

This plant seems to do well in part shade and in more northern climates where its hardy.

I have alot of damn trees and its one of my favorites. I didn't look at at any point last year during the hottest summer ever and think it looked dingy or burned.

I just took the photos on my camera phone so not the best light and quality.

{{gwi:372823}}

{{gwi:372825}}

Ken, you are due for an updated photo of yours. With all the rain this spring it should be looking good right now.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Again, if it looks dingy or burned there is something wrong with it.

Unless someone thinks copper beech look dingy. Which I can understand. Often the spring purple shown in these last two pictures is not maintained through summer, as this cultivar is a variegated copper beech and not a variegated purple beech.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

For unique you could try giant sequoia 'hazel smith' or southern magnolia 'edith bogue'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i will restate my position ...

do you care what your tulips look like in august ... do you care what your mock orange looks like in late summer... etc.. etc ...

every plant has its prime season, and just collect enough plants.. that you have something new coming into its prime every other week or so ... so you have something fresh to look at .. and so you can forget about that which is past its prime for that season ...

at the link are a few of this years pix

finally ... go to a good nursery .. not BIGBOXSTORE... and ask the manager to order one in for you.. on his next shipment ... this plant is worth the premium ... or contact whass and find out who he mail ordered his from ... just as there are bigboxstore... there are the mail order equivalent .... you need some experiences with QUALITY mail order ... and i hate to say it.. but if you dont pay at lest $100 ... you will most likely not be pleased .... i understand budget matters to many of us... but if you have to skip $4 coffees for a month or two.. which will pay off in the long run .. i have a million justifications for buying a quality.. to die for.. plant ...

ken

{{gwi:242703}}

i had to spray.. to get rid of the dwarf ...
    {{gwi:242702}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• barbiey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trust me Ken......money is no object at this point. The $100 one was at a BigBox store which I passed on 7 yrs ago. Would love any recommendations for quality mailorder companies. Will be checking in with a local nursery this weekend. All of your pictures have me just dying to get one......I pity my poor husband if I can't find one! THX EVERYONE!!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Tulips and mock oranges aren't foliage plants. And they don't become a dominating landscape feature, unless you plant a whole bunch of them together.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

ahhh... bboy the contrarian.. refuses to accept my premise ... that every plant has its season.. and not all plants call all of spring/summer/fall ... one season ...

just like he has in 20 or 30 other tricolor post over the years.. lol ...

and just as i expected ... lol

thankx for not letting me down ron.. lol...

listen ... if money is no object .... go to the nearest high end nursery ... talk to the manager.. and tell him you would like to order a 6 to 8 footer on his next shipment form oregon [where most of this stuff comes from] ...

it will either be delivered this fall.. or next spring ... and give you some instant gratification ..

i do not suggest going much bigger than that size.. first for killing yourself moving and planting it ... and second.. its just easier on the tree getting re-established.. and moving on with its life ...

below is a link to a great overview on planting trees ...

i hope you saw my post on this years pix of mine ...

good luck

ken

ps: as a collector.. i really have no use for two of anything ... i have two of these.. lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bajafx4
    10 years ago

This house is down the street from me and the reason I want a Tri-Color Beech. Sorry the photo isn't of the greatest detail, but I don't know the homeowner and felt a little weird even taking a photo from this distance.

FWIW, the front of the house faces north. This photo was taken at 7am this morning (June).

• princeton701
    7 years ago

View through the ever-changing leaves of the tri-color beech:

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    7 years ago

I killed the last one I tried. There is little like it in the world. MAYBE one of the variegated Cornus cultivars in fall.

I do urge folks to post a picture taken in their zone in August also. At MOBOT even the ones in shade seem to crisp if I remember properly.

Makes me jealous of you all and your low angle sun.