Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Someone needs convincing???

pitimpinai
17 years ago

I was just giving a friendly suggestion. However, it wasn't taken as such. Too bad. Any suggestions? Comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: Best sowing kits

Comments (23)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Let it roll off your back. It isn't worth worrying about it.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah. Thanks, Donn. You are right. Not worth a penny of my thought.
    Back to my seed collection and enjoying my WS results. :-)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

That wasn't even the original poster, was it?

Hey...the majority of the people who posted there were pro "nature's way"...so.....

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is rather odd that the original poster didn't add anything after the first post. I thought people might be open minded and at least be curious since several posters had added comments about WS.

Oh, well.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Well...it happened to me, too....something stuck up their _______?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yup

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

You know, there's often a party pooper on almost every forum. We're just lucky that we don't have one on the Winter Sowing Forum.

Feel safe and cozy here my WS friends...

GGG

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Now they are calling WSing a "religion"....guess we are the fanatics, huh? Sooooooo....I guess we pray to Mother Nature?

They really need to contain their comments for the specific INDOOR sowing forums only...that thread was on the "Growing From Seed" forum, not the "Growing Under Lights" forum...quite frankly there is a BIG difference.

I wouldn't dare tread on that ground....really don't care to.

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

Webkat5, I agree. I wouldn't go there again either. I posted on the original post that started this thread, then after seeing some of the other posts on it felt very uncomfortable.

WS a religion?, OK, pray to mother nature is fine with me.
    It's fine with my neighbors across the street as well, the new convert. He came to the swap I had last June, felt kind of weird seeing all these WS seedlings and just couldn't believe this was done all winter. He's spent 20 years in his cellar with his grow lights and stuff. Well he took some plants and you know the rest of the story. The WS seedlings are 3 times the size as his "under lights" ones and they are the same plants. Now his cellar is full of all kinds of containers for WS and he already has 8 bags of miracle grow potting mix. OH, and he's learned to collect his own seeds too.

Took a peak at the growing from seed forum before I posted this and there is a thread called "sowing in trays...please advise. I had to laugh when I read this from a post. I'll stick with WS and mother nature thank you.

"Take the germinated ones out and plant them in their own pots. Return the ungerminated ones to darkness. SEED STARTING IS A DAILY CHORE. Let the seedlings go for only one day and they are ruined. It's a labor of love.
    I start them all under lights, in small plastic cell paks. The ones needing darkness I cover with soil and many layers of black plastic wrap. As the sprouts appear, I remove the wrap and forfeit the other ungerminated seeds in each cell. No transplanting needed that way."

Can you imagine, seed starting is a daily chore? Yup, punch in the drainage holes, fill it up with soil, wet down the soil, add the seeds, cover with what ever you use for that container and out it goes, in, on over and under the snow or whatever and that's the chore. I'll take that kind of chore anyday.

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Well, I couldn't help myself. Looks like I'm in.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Me too. I am in for the duration.
    And I swear I'll sow a lot fewer seeds this winter. LOL.

I think I'll just stick with Petunia and a couple other annuals.
    I have no more room! Really.

• mamimo
    17 years ago

I hardly visited the growing from seed forum till I saw this thread. Had to go sneak a peek. Sure looks like a different pond over there. I'm happy staying here. Ribbit.

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

You guys are right there's a negative person on almost every forum just hanging around waiting like a shark circling a dying fish. My very first post on GW was somewhat naive in it's content as I hadn't really done any research yet. Donn was kind enough to answer politely and a few others from this forum Bakemom included, but not before someone literally tried to take a chunk out of my hide and pretty much called me stupid.

I almost gave up GW right then and there, I almost cried because the person came about as close to hurting my feelings as you could on here. It wasn't until another poster came to my rescue and told "the shark" just how mean and uncalled for the post was. And you know I haven't really posted on that forum again.

But in two months I have learned so much it's not even funny. I could probably write my own book. Thanks to GW I have even been introduced to HTML and Web Authoring which I knew nothing about before.

I will stick to the WS forum because no matter how dumb I think my question is you guys always take the time to answer my questions completely and thoroughly. I don't I have ever had a mean or negative response here.

And just a few days ago on the seed exchange someone posted a fab thread about "What are you most wanted..." and someone had to stop us all in the middle to tell us that we are asking for hybrids that won't come true...givin specifics and everything. I would think that most people who are trading seeds understand about hybrids, and for the most part traders don't seem to care and would rather take the chance on the seeds. I know I would...it would have been much more enjoyable if that person hadn't stuck his two cents in.

So pitimpinai, "in one ear and right out the other" I say. We love WS and the other people can just struggle with their lightsetups, damp-off, fungus, small plants, and all that. Just a bloody waste of money. Have fun and keep your head up!

Netta

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ribit. Ribit. Ribit.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Just read the links you folks posted above. Amazing how persistent some folks can be, eh? Must say that half the time I had to re-read some of the stuff since the train of thought wasn't sinking in from what the adamant responder wrote.

I always tell my child such things as 'to each his own', 'everyone has an opinion', 'try to see the other's point of view', etc.

I don't think that winter sowers are forcing their simplicity on others - merely advocating another method which some have not tried and might work for them and would be less costly than conventional/horticultural methods. It's a shame that others do not see it that way, but as Donn suggests, sometimes it's best to walk away.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's inteesting that while that poster advocated so called "tried and true" method of sowing seeds, she had made up her mind and chose not to hear what several others had said about WS.

She comes across as such in every post she writes. Reminds me of a former colleague of mine who was always the most vocal on everything and said everything with such conviction that people thought what she said was true....... And note the word "former"? That person is no longer there to convince others with her pigheadedness.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

So who advised someone to winter sow baggie style with a tablespoon of soil???

Here is a link that might be useful: Read this

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am going back to my seed snatching

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Love the WS forum and WSing! So glad I came here where questions from beginners are treated with respect and kindness. . .

• giterdun1
    17 years ago

Did anyone see or notice the last post to the thread below?

The last thing posted was a question.

.how do you think we can make this place better?....

I sure have a few thoughts on the matter, but probably won't go post them unless I get liquored up, and I quit drinking years ago, thank goodness.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: make this place better?

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's so stupid it's funny.

Gardening is supposed to be fun. It must be disconcerting for a new gardener who ventures out there and asks legitimate questions then gets some incomprehensible semi-scientific mumbo jumbo shoved his/her throat. And it's stupid of me to stick my nose in.

Too bad.

I give up. I'll just hang out here and peer into my jugs. :-)

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am a glutton for punishment. I just went there and found the thread that Ana started a couple days ago missing. Gone. Poof! Strange. Or am I seeing things?

• mamimo
    17 years ago

Read the more recently linked threads posted above. SHEESH!!

Pitimpinai - you did the right thing. It looks like some people feels threatened by the ease and success of WSing?

...anyway, where was I? That's right, need to wash and hang the milk jugs, a la Donn's "garlic braid". Two neighbors are saving their milk jugs for me this year, joy joy!

• solana
    17 years ago

Pitimpinai, Your eyes are just fine. I'd sent the link to my thread to a friend via regular email, when I click on link in my sent copy, I get "Whoops! I couldn't find that message." The last post (a gentle explanation of nearing cold frames) was at Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:04:30 which is much more recent than the vast majority of 47 pages of remaining threads. No explanation received.

Yes, I identified the subject as OT, but Growing from Seed doesn't offer a conversation side or I would have posted there. Too bad; the most recent posts seemed to 'get' what I was trying to say.

I had a similar experience yesterday trying to find one of the threads which inspired mine. Seems the powers that be tolerate discourtesy, but not polite dissent.

Bookmarking this thread to see how long it lasts, Ana

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting