Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Has anybody heard or seen Tiffy from Canada?

pippi21
12 years ago

Has anybody been in touch with Tiffy(from Canada)this year. I miss her beautiful pictures and postings. I hope everything worked out well for her and she and daughter are relocated and adjusting to her new situation.

Tiffy, if you are reading this, please check in and let us know you are okay.

Comments (18)

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

Check over on the conversations side of this forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but her last post there was on Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 21:31.

I wish she would or could check in. This thread could get moved to the conversation side.

I think about her and those beautiful gardens a lot, would be heartbreaking to have to leave all that hard work and beauty behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conversations - Leaving the Wintersown gardens part 2

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

pippi21 - I saw her post on the butterfly garden forum yesterday. She's living in an apartment, in a private home in the city from what I read and is hoping to grow milkweed in containers on a balcony so she can raise monarch butterflies again. As soon as I saw her name I smiled.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

"As soon as I saw her name I smiled." Warm words which I truly felt.

I am OK. Things have not been easy, but last Sunday I went back to the gardens and removed some plants with friends. The new owners of the house were not there which was a blessing of sorts. We filled the backs of two 1/2 ton trucks, a van, and my little Yaris. We would just divide and bag. All the plants, except for those which were in my car will be kept by friends for now.

Despite the rain, I have potted my precious cargo and now have 31 pots of wintersown plants from previous years to grow on my steps and tiny balcony. They include Milkweed, a Buddleia, a Japanese Maple, a Katsura tree, 2 Azaleas, and some Nepeta. Not winter sown are Piti's Goldenrod Fireworks :O) and a tiny variegated Forsythia. I am so glad I moved Drippy's Rose of Sharon to my parent's home a few years ago since I would not have been able to move it now due to size. My small trees will be moved to their home this summer.

I had planted the Forsythia bush 7 years ago when it was rejected by many gardeners at a garden center. Last year I took a branch and stuck it in a pot to see if it would root. On Sunday, I found the pot and discovered the branch had taken. I joked to another gardener that I had bought this nice shrub but it had never flowered. Then I looked at the shrub in the gardens and saw it in flower for the first time... Some of you will understand when I say that emotions got the best of me at that point.

But life goes on. I hope to raise Monarchs again this year. They have been seen in this area of the city at times, so I figure I'd go for it.

I have been reading - or rather lurking - every now and then. It sound like everyone had a great winter sowing season this year. A few more newbies with good questions coming at everyone once again. :O)

I truly hope your gardens grow beyond your expectations this coming year and do remember to enjoy them by just sitting there while doing absolutely nothing for many moments. Those are the moments I fondly remember...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Tiffy, you'll have those moments again. And hopefully not with a long wait.

Thank you for letting us know how you're doing, I know I've been thinking of you often and I'm sure many others have too.

I wish I could have been there to help you dig and I'd love to be fostering some of your plants. I've got fat buds on some meconopsis, which always please me but this year in part when I see them I think - theres some more seeds for Tiffy when she's ready.

You've gone through a whirlwind of changes in the last few months - hang in there, it's going to get better. Don't trip on those pots ;-) and I hope the butterflies find you. (((Hugs)))

"Reach for the moon. If you fall short, you may land on a star".....there's lots of stars out there waiting for you.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

So glad to hear from you, Nicole.

It's great that you are able to get those plants from your old house; you were smart to write that into the sale contract. You had so many beautiful plants there that the new owners won't hardly miss them.

I hope you and your daughter are happy in your new apartment. The new perfect house will come along soon enough. Take care.

Karen

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Great hearing for you Tiffy,
    I will be raising Monarchs again this year, with you in mind,your help last year was so appreciated,there is so much more I need to learn.It was so nice to read that you were able to get some of your garden,2,1/2 ton trucks, wow!amazing, you really moved a lot,then you had to plant them all, I bet you enjoyed gardening again,even for a short time.Good luck Tiffy, we all think of you every day,and hope you pop in from time to time to say "Hi" and let us know how you are.
    Thinking of you,and sending positive vibs your way,
    cAROL

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see the photos of how you turn your balcony into a garden paradise. :)

• v1rt
    12 years ago

Glad to hear/see you again Nicole!

If you want Inula Goliath again, just let me know. I ws'd again this year and seedlings are doing very well. I love this perennial. Even if I neglect them to the max, they still put on a great show! :)

• PVick
    12 years ago

Great to hear from you, Nicole! I do wish you well in your house hunting, but it sure is nice to have another balcony gardener here, even if only for a short time.

PV

• terrene
    12 years ago

Hi Tiffy! Wishing you the best and hope you have some Monarchs this year.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tiffy, so glad to hear that you are okay. We all have been concerned about you and have had you in our thoughts and prayers. Is the apt. in same school district as your daughter's school?

Wished I'd been there to help you dig up your beautiful plants; you were smart to write that into your contract. Did the new owners know that you were coming over that day? I'm glad there were no run-ins with the new owners about that. That must have been a very emotional experience for you to go through. You will come out of all of this a much stronger person. We're here for you anytime you feel the need to vent. Waiting for pictures of your flowers on your balcony. PVick is a perfect example of balcony gardening and I'm sure you've seen her flower pictures before. It is amazing what she has growing up there(9rh or 11th. floor?)

Keep smiling!

• wendy2shoes
    12 years ago

Message to Tiff..if you ever need Lychnis seeds, you can call on me. The mainstays of my bed are from the seeds you sent to me when I was a newbie 5 years ago. German Catchfly (which I absolutely love), Maltese Cross, Flo-Jo, and a short red version which works so well on the bed edge (name lost)..Thank you m'amie, for so many beautiful perennials!
    {{gwi:387520}}

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whenever you are ready for seeds..just post a list..

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

Nicole! So happy to see you here again. Thanks for popping in and letting us know how you are doing. Glad you were able to get some of your plants out and secured away for the future gardens. :)
    stay well and don't be a stranger!! :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    12 years ago

:O)

Wendy,
    Those should be Lynchnis Viscaria Splendens Fever.

To all,
    There is no doubt that I will be requiring seeds in the future and definitely will be asking for some of my plants back in seed form from good friends.

I've been taking a few trips down to my parents place more often. They have a wonderful home on good acreage and this coming winter I may winter sow with my mother who still enjoys gardening at the prime age of 84. We will be 'cleaning' some of her gardens this summer as some have gotten out of control and she loves the help. Even though the property is only 3 hours away, the zone is one up and her gardens are always ahead of mine.

So Neil, yes, I will defnitely be asking for Inula seeds, morz8, start collecting poppy seeds, and Wendy, my mom would fall in love with Flo-Jovis. :O)

Having a good day today... Can you tell??

• aliska12000
    12 years ago

So glad you checked in, Tiffy, think of you often. I can well understand how hard it was to go back; if I sold my place and coulen't save my special plants, my heart would ache at seeing them with another owner.

I hope you managed to grab a few of those Ultima Morpho Pansies. Mine didn't turn out such a beautiful shade of blue as yours, and you might have trouble getting that blue again if you start over.

Glad you're making the most of a tough situation and hope you attract lots of Monarchs. I haven't seen any for a couple years, and they used to be more plentiful but did thrill to see a tiger swallowtail the past two years. I applaud your efforts to try to provide a habit for Monarchs because last I read, their winter home had been slashed and burned, figuratively speaking, so they've had a tough time, too.

• pitimpinai
    12 years ago

Been thinking of you all this time, tiffy. So very glad that you checked in and that you are getting some of your plants back.

I can hardly believe that it's going to be 2 years since we visited you and your beautiful garden. What can I send you? I can send plants next spring. My garden is more stuffed than ever this year. I definitely need to thin out. I still don't have your courage to hold a plant sale. But I'll go to the plant swap next Friday.

All the best. Many hugs to you and Robyn.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Nice to see you posting. Glad you and friends were able to get some plants from your winter sown gardens.
    I'm sure your mother is happy to have you gardening with her this year and to give some of your plants a temporary home.

Understand your pleasure at seeing the forsythia twigs growing. I was surprised this spring to see the two forsythia twigs I stuck in pots blooming. Had forgotten all about them.

How exciting to be growing butterfly attracting plants on your balcony and I will look forward to your butterfly photos.

The day will come when you will be watching for the mail to see which seeds have found their way to you. Until then I send good vibes and hugs your way.

Sponsored