Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Donations for Newbie Seed Project 2012-13

bakemom_gw
11 years ago

I will host the Newbie Seed Project again this year. Right now, I am accepting donations - anything - anyway you want...leftovers...old seeds, fresh seeds.

I am going to keep track this year and See how many people participate and how many states we serve. USA only of course. It's usually 300-500 people involed in some fashion.

I will post when it is time to start handing out packs. Please wait until then. My addy is:

Karen McCoy

1630 Ardwick Road

Columbus, Ohio 43220

Columbus, Ohio 43220

Comments (22)

• drippy
    11 years ago

Oh, good, I was hoping you would do this again, Karen. I have a ton of seeds this year, more than I can trade for sure, and now I know they won't go to waste. I'll start packing now, it will take me at least a month to get them together, LOL.

• pdsavage
    11 years ago

Wow 300-500 people thats alot of keeping track.
    Hats off to you....

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    11 years ago

What is the Newbie Seed Project and how does it work?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am planning on doing the project again this year and will be accepting seed donations through February 2013.
    For those who aren't familiar. it's a seed pack with 15-30 packs of seeds - my choice. I ask for sasbe, but if you don't have a bubble envelope, I have plenty. At the minimum I need a mailing label and four stamps for the return trip.
    Anyone can participate, and repeats are welcome. I use the newbie term because many of the seeds are common. You can use them or trade them off. I have sent special packages to various organizations and projects.

USA only please. I do 24 hour turnaround. This is fun and informal and literally hundreds of people have participated in some form. I post when I have enough to start - pack start small (15 packs) and get larger as donations come in.

I dont want anything except the opportunity to do this. It is a great joy to manage this beloved monster. I accept seeds in any form and have plenty of small baggies to divide them.

About 3,000 packs of seed went out last year. Let's see how this year goes.

For requests, wait until I post offers. Donors:

Karen McCoy
    1630 Ardwick Road
    Columbus, Ohio 43220

• halfandhalf
    11 years ago

Wow,what an awesome job you are doing to help others! Hats off to you Karen! I'm new to gardening and can't wait. I also have seeds to send you. Keep up the great work and please let us know if you could use some help :)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I'll go thru my seeds and send them to you.

Peace Out!

• leisa_in_md
    11 years ago

Hi! Your newbie seed packs got me started, and addicted! I have some seed I can send. Do you want little individual bags of seeds, or a big batch that you can split up?

Thanks!
    Leisa

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would prefer bagged and labeled, but I can take them anyway you want to send them. As soon as I get enough to start, I will offer the packs...probably late fall. This runs through the spring, so don't feel there is a deadline. The fewer rules, the better.

I'm gathering shastas and rudbeckie triloba right now.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Seeds on the way to you!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Karen, I've sent the seeds. Tell me if they have arrived.

Sincerely,
    Ladyrose65 (Avis)

• kimka
    11 years ago

A full jiffy bag of seed packets is going in the mail to you this weekend, Karen.

You are the best for taking on this labor again.

KimKa

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not ready to start giving away seeds. Keep that donations coming and thanks! I'll post when the project is ready.

• micki
    11 years ago

I was the recipient of your newbie packs last yr and welcome an opportunity to give back, I've saved several of my most favorites.

Last yr. I was new to the forum and my garden was more beautiful this yr than ever due to the generous people at WSing

Micki777

• shallot
    11 years ago

Hi Bakemom, I am new to this forum but would like to send you some seeds for this project. Do they need to be sent in a jiffy bag or is a regular envelope fine so long as it is sealed up well?

Thanks,
    Charlotte

• pippi21
    11 years ago

BakeMom..refresh my memory, are we allowed to send a Wish list along with the 4 stamps, and we get back the same amount of seed packets as we send? Is there a minimum of pkts. we are allowed to send along or a maximum? Is this open to gardeners that are no longer Newbies this year? I'll start getting an envelope ready for you while I await for confirmation of my questions. Thanks for doing this again.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a project of sheer benevolence. It is not a swap and the seeds are my choice. The pack of seeds I send in Newbie pack depends on the amount I have available. Right now, I am accepting donations. When we have enough for a meaningful offering, I will post that newbie packs are available and with the number of packs in each package. We will also have veggie packs depending on how much seed is received.

I accept seeds any way you wan to send them. This is a labor of love for me.

• mastergarder2003
    11 years ago

I sent you out a large package today, with hundreds of seed from,Gallardia,Garlic bulblets,hens and chicks,zebra and bunny grass,Allysum white,Butterfly shrub lav.,Cilantro herb,Bachlour Button blue,Clematis yellow Radar love tiny flowers lg vine,Aster lavender yello center,ad Ameranthus pink Hopi tall. Enjoy I cant wait to see what you send me as well. Every pak is very big and full of lots and lots of seeds. I put in 4 stamps and addy for me too. First time with you glad to share my extra seeds in a great way with others too. enjoy.

• katkni
    11 years ago

All right! I'll be sending off seeds this fall, and will look for offers starting soon. My winter sowing was not too successful last year, so I need to start over with some seeds.

• shallot
    11 years ago

Bakemom I sent you a jiffy bag of seeds today from Oklahoma, please could yu let me know when it arrives safely? Thanks!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Bakemom, I put together a bubble envelope this afternoon with some seeds for the your project. All posted and ready to go on Monday. Some butterfly and hummer favorites! I think that what you're doing is very nice for the newbies.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm getting the packs put together and it's looking like a nice assortment. I hope to begin offerings in time for winter sowing. if you have extra seeds to send - i'll take them - in any form.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH