Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Are the Days Getting Longer??

donn_
12 years ago

Hi Guys!

How's everybody doing? Slinging potting mix? Cutting jugs? Mixing up your seeds and labels?

It doesn't seem like winter here yet, but I may have to break down and sow a few seeds this year anyway. I have a new workshop, with a dedicated potting bench, and if I can clear off all the junk on it, I'll have room. I also have the timbers for eight 4x8 raised beds I hope to build and fill over the winter, so I'll need plenty of plants for them.

Comments (11)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Yep! Starting tomorrow, sunset will be a few seconds later than it was today. Forecast calls for rain so I don't expect to watch the sun go down but I think it's a pretty sure bet it will.

I got six jugs WS today but I was ahead of the game since I prepped the jugs & printed the labels early in the week and had 9 ready to go. Got three Japanese red maple, two crocosmia & a beauty bush done. I need trees to replace the ones I lost in the October snowstorm. In between WS, I went walkabout since it was a mild 53 degrees here. Scouting out empty spots where I can plunk 'n run when warm weather gets here next May.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I got the area cleaned up. I cleaned up the pails and tubs. I still have a lot of jugs to prep. The weather is still warm. I'm think I will do Columbines, Echinchea, and Larkspur first.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I just asked my husband that a couple hours ago and he said that really it will be in couple days

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Are the days getting longer? Not that I can notice, but I read in the paper that tonight will be shorter by seconds only, it's going to be a few days before we can see the effect :) It feels (every year) like I've reached a milestone with the Solstice, really hate these short days we've been having - I need light, like our seedlings.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Hey Donn....longer days here. Or am I just getting older?

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

It's not the short days that get to me, it's the loooong nights. I always feel like I should go to bed.

Karen

• northforker
    12 years ago

Hey there Donn - great to see you here again!

Eight new raised beds, oh boy are YOU going to have fun!

Funny you should being talking about the light...I was just saying to hubby that it seems we "missed" that dreary pitch dark by 4:30pm period this year. He says it never got dark that early but I remember driving home from work in it. I welcome all sunshine and can't wait to start sowing in January.

Nancy

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

I posted a link to sunrise/sunset times at AHS Plant Heat Zone Maps by State. - Vegetable Gardening Forum - GardenWeb, about halfway down the page as I recall. In the middle latitudes of the contiguous states I don't see much difference until about a month or two after the solstice.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I think it's knowing that we've passed the point where the days get shorter and the nights longer and have six months to enjoy that trend getting reversed that lifts the spirits and sustains us. I look forward to the solstice with more awareness now that I winter sow but also enjoy the side benefit of knowing the hours of daylight will gradually increase from this point on. There are milk jugs + an ice pick on the desk beside me that I poke holes with as I'm reading the posts. I don't feel rushed but figure why waste time? I know the seeds will sprout--probably all 9 bajillion of them--and I'll plunk 'n run or pot them up. It's just wonderful to have my hands in dirt and play with seeds this time...okay, anytime...of year.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Hi Donn, it always makes me smile to see you post here. I rarely post here much anymore, but I do check in every once in a while.
    I have not yet started to WS and don't have much soil yet. I always have a dilema as I need to find a place to store bales of pro-mix securely out of creatures reach. I've only found once place that will carry it, and only in spring :( Not so thrilled with other soil choices!
    Since seasons seem to be changing here: Lots of rain in fall/winter earlier than it used to be, days can see very long - like it's getting dark at 3 some days! The weather is so mild I've been working outside painting, renovating some trellises a gal gave me etc. and the short day length can fool me when it is overcast. I get all worried about getting dinner on the table (which never happens before 8 anyway, so why I worry, I don't know...) and then when I come in it's 3 or 4 pm!

• dorisl
    12 years ago

ZOMG! It was pitch black at 4:15 the other day. Hard to believe that @4:15 in the summer we might just be starting out to the poool!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting