Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

o
HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Posted by kilngod Z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 7:52

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions.

(We will not list you if you are missing things.)

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds? (Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?)

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? (From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?)

Newbies are newbies if they are:
1) truly new to Gardenweb, OR
2) are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR
3) could really use help with seed access for any reason.
Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:
Pre-adoption procedure
--Your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below).
--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you)
--Include both your zone & state in your member page info (there is a special trick to this - see link/note in next post below).

Costs to the newbie adoptee:
--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"Seeds only" adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran.
--"Plants too" adopts ideally are Priority Mail and may cost about $5 to $14 depending on size.
--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:
--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.
--Check the Rate & Review forum regarding the sponsor who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/ Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.
--Send postage to your adopter.
--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

Sponsors who want to adopt:
--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--Then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offer to adopt them.

The host/hostess(es) will (me & other helpful volunteers):
--Will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--Will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--To make things print bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list. For italics, same system, just use an 'i' instead of the 'b'.

Newbies, there is also a "Newbie Seed Packs for SASBE" thread run by bakemom on this seed exchange board. She has generously run it for years, with donations sent to her from lots of veteran traders. There is also an "Adopt-A-Milkweed-Newbie' list run by kchd. Check those out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, May 10, 14 at 16:44

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Technical Help for Newbies

To make your state & zone show next to your screen name:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom left of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Membership Details',
-Add your state to the 'Garden Zone' box.

In that same place, you can:
-Add a 'blurb' about you, your garden, your overall interests and plant preferences.
-Select option to "Show my email address to: Members".
-Check the box for "Allow others to send you email from your profile page".

To make/edit your wants list:
-Click 'Member Pages' (way down, bottom right of this page),
-Then click 'Edit Your Exchange Lists'.
-Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list (much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

Here is a link that might be useful: Shortcut to Member Pages

o

BunnyNomNom, if you update your info (state + zone in zone box) we'll put you on the list.

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
thewallawallaian89 (7 WA) (edibles, recycled pallet garden)
Young.Gardener123 (7b NC) (edibles, flowers; clay soil)
Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs)
celticmommy (7 MD) (5-yr-old learner, veggies, flowers, lettuce; part sun containers)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
Vegetarian_atheist (5 So IL) (edible garden, veggies; clay soil) - kchd
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd
DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade) - pdsavage
jennyblu (6 unk) (veggies, kid garden) - socalgardengal
janedchang (10 CA) (any flowers) - socalgardengal
flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
boredsogarden (8 VA) (trees, vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers) - canyonwind
tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal
EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd
kajira4master (6 KS) (veggies, herbs, edible flowers) - cryptid
llbiss (7 unk) (veggies, flowers; containers, raised garden) - canyonwind
njack41980 (5 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, herbs, anything) - LilyD74
Nerfyjen (6 se PA) (veggies, community garden, seed saving) - canyonwind
magical_isis (10 so CA) (new climate, succulents; containers) - socalgardengal
Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers/row, woodland & wildflowers) - kilngod
Detrak (6 PA) (edibles, flowers, homeschooling, lg size garden aims) - kilngod
dvagb (4 WI) (healthy lifestyle veggies, family food) - Desirai
thedudefrom1976 (6 NY) (veggies; homesteading, larger scale gardening) - kilngod
****** 2 5 Adoptions ! ! ******
Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies) - Desirai
CrazyCatMomma (6a mt TN) (edibles, tomatoes, herbs; technical GW tips) - caryltoo
LainaBerry (7 AK) (cottage garden, medicinals, fragrants, moth&mantid) - jensyen
FruitaholicLamb (8 central TX) (specialty edibles) - leilahamaya
ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy veggies, ez sun perennials, dry shade) - VikingPrincess
madakatude (6a NY) (advice: flowers, flowering shrubs, soil buiding) - VikingPrincess
Cirrus (5 IN) (tea/medicinal, succulent/cacti, trees; containers) - BunnyNomNom

o

I would really like to participate in this. Thanks!

o

Scobbs416, if you are a newbie, do as a newbie. (Post your garden interests.)

If you are a sponsor, do as a sponsor. (Adopt/claim someone from the list.)

This post was edited by kilngod on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 23:01

o

I Guess im a newbie here, and would love to be adopted. My seed list is semi-extensive but most is still store purchesed seed (some, like the Nicotiana i have thousands, others I have a few seeds left) Im interested in seeds and plants, And have a greenhouse. im in Zone 5, Massachusetts. I enjoy Exotic, Tropical And weird plants. fast growing is also cool :3 Edible fruits/plants are great, but i equaly enjoy having a poison garden.

As far as zone go's I should be able to replicate it in the greenhouse, or some other way to micro-climate it. Horrably funny thing, ive grown tropicals, like my kumquat tree from seed, and people go "O.O you got that to grow in mass? inside, but still O.o" Yet i did manage to kill a spider plant, a few tomato's, and a eggplant. >.> Dont blame me blame the soil xD (It was a soil issue, ive delt with and now no more deaths yay :D)

o

I am new here and was hoping to be adopted.Just got back into growing things again.Thanks for your time and the chance to be adopted.

This post was edited by Scorion1 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 12:28

o

(From the first list..)

thewallawallaian89 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 15:53

I would like to be considered for adoption. I am trying to get the hang of this. I am trying to acquire various edibles to sustain my family, as food in this area seems to be rising. Not alot of money for seeds with two little ones under foot, but we would appreciate the help. I have random seeds I could trade out as well. Father-in-law had a hoard of seeds that wouldnt do well here.

I am interested in all edibles. trying to make a recycled pallet garden this year. If any one is interested in adopting me please let me know.
Amber

Here is a link that might be useful: thewallawallaian89's page

This post was edited by kilngod on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 9:00

o

(From the first list..)

Young.Gardener123 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 19:19

Hello, I just started gardening last year by accident, and I really loved it! Because of that, this year I decided to start a 'planned' garden, and have so far planted beets that have a really low germination rate, garlic that sprouted on the counter, sugar snap peas, and a potato plant that just popped up in my planting bed for no apparent reason. Most of the gardening I do is second-chance, which means that I plant things that grow in our compost bin, or that sprout in forgotten areas of the fridge, pantry, or counter. This year is the first year I have planted seeds from a packet, and I would love to join the Adopt-a-Newbie Program, although I have never done a seed exchange or anything like this before so please be patient! :)
I am in zone 7b, North Carolina, and I am interested in growing anything edible and maybe even some really pretty flowers/perennials for my mom to enjoy. I also have clay soil, if that is of any importance. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Young.Gardener123's page

o

(From the first list..)

celticmommy 7 (celticmist.mc@gmail.com) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 19:17

I a very new to this, actually just joined today. I am very interested in getting involved with the seed exchange, but considering we are new, I have nothing to offer as of yet. I would love to be adopted as my husband and I are going to be starting a small "garden" per se on our apartment terrace. Mostly round and long containers as don't have a lot of room to work with, but we want to use every inch we can. we are using this "garden" to teach my 5 year old about growing your own food and also using for science and match education. We may also share some of the seeds with this daycare class as they are looking to use for educational purposes as well. I hope someone feels so compelled to share their knowledge and seeds for this cause.

Here is a link that might be useful: celticmommy's page

o

(From the first list...)

Cathybt9 7 W Wa. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 23:58

I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, Black Pansy's thorneless raspberry's. A bit about me. I love African Violets , Black Pansy's, Violets. I am looking for Thorneless raspberry's, Blue potatoes, Black Pansy's, Viola's . Heirloom seeds for the vegetable garden.I love house plants also I have Angel wing begonia split leaf philodendron, Queen of the night and Aloe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cathybt9's page

o

Twotails & Scorion1, post your state and zone in your zone box. Directions for this above.

Welcome!

o

Mailed out a packet of seeds to CrazyCatMomma today.

Caryl

o

I'll try this again, the right way :-)
I'd like to be considered for adoption as a newbie. Gardening interest are heirloom veggies, large producing plant varieties ( we are feeding a large family that consumes produce like locusts) I would also like to try out some unusual plants (veg/fruit or flower). I have a quantity of seeds from this year left over for trade as well. Thanks!

o

Hello, all. I am in need of adoption

o

Gardening is my new passion! Just started about a year ago. Sunflowers got me hooked! :) Interests: vegetables and fruits (feeding a large family), flower cutting garden (to give bouquets to neighbors, friends, and family), long vase-life flowers, budget gardening. Zone 9. Louisiana.

o

Thanks for reposting my message! :)

o

Bearybee, please check the directions and examples above on how to sign up.

Lacybrupbacher, please put your state with your zone in the zone box. Directions above.

Young.Gardener123, you are welcome! :)

I'll update the list tomorrow.

This post was edited by kilngod on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 17:07

o

Hi, I'd love to adopt some newbies! I'm swamped with seeds and have lots to share. :). If it's alright, I'd like to adopt the four that were on the last list :

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
thewallawallaian89 (7 WA) (edibles, recycled pallet garden)
Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs)
celticmommy (7 MD) (5-yr-old learner, veggies, flowers, lettuce; part sun containers)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

I'm in zone 9, and most of my seeds, with the exception of a few will do fine in Zone 7. Do I contact them now, or wait to have confirmation that I'm the designated adopter first?

Can't wait to share my goodies, Sherie

This post was edited by SunshineGal on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 8:36

o

You got 'em, Lovely SunshineGal! Contact them right away. We do not actualy confirm the adoption, but I wanted to give you formal fanfare for being bold-n-generous.

The post makes it public, and that's enough to seal the deal.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!
Thanks, ma'am!
Tina

o

Twotails, Scorion1, Lacybrupbacher, please put your state and zone in your zone box. Directions for this above.

Bearybee, please check the directions and examples above on how to sign up.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Twotails (5 MA)(Exotic,tropical,weird,edible,poisonous,zone-pushing; greenhouse)
Zone 6:
scobbs416 (6 se PA)(heirloom & high-yield veggies, unusual veg/fruit/flower)
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:
lacybrupbacher (9 LA)(veggies,fruits,cut flowers; budget gardening)

Please see the newbie's original post (member page & want lists) for additional details.
kaylanw (9b FL) (flowers/shrubs/colors/cacti/ succulants/veggies/herbs) - canyonwind
sunnybichon (5 MI) (veggies, fruit; family feeding, 1/2 acre) - buturfliis_mom & aquawise
Starrling (7 AK central) (medicinals/tea herbs, veggies, fruit, bees; containers) - kchd
DetestingMonday (5 KS) (Family/kids veggies, canning, medi-herbs) - beth_b_kodiak
vegpatch (5 CO) (vegetable/herb heirloom, seed saving, wintersowing) - spacetogrow
stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage
flipflopsforme (7 NC) (flowers, veggies, plants; old fashioned garden) - canyonwind
tdionne63 (east WA) (vegetable, herb, hot peppers; raised beds) - socalgardengal
EricaBraun (9b CA) (specialty/heirloom veggies, medicinal herbs, oddities) - kchd
Weicker (6a PA) (heirloom edibles, containers/row, woodland & wildflowers) - kilngod
thedudefrom1976 (6 NY) (veggies; homesteading, larger scale gardening) - kilngod
Orchidllauraga (7 AL) (perennials, cacti/succulents, container veggies) - Desirai
CrazyCatMomma (6a mt TN) (edibles, tomatoes, herbs; technical GW tips) - caryltoo
LainaBerry (7 AK) (cottage garden, medicinals, fragrants, moth&mantid) - jensyen
ptpulley (8b west WA) (healthy veggies, ez sun perennials, dry shade) - VikingPrincess
madakatude (6a NY) (advice: flowers, flowering shrubs, soil buiding) - VikingPrincess
thewallawallaian89 (7 WA) (edibles, recycled pallet garden) - SunshineGal
Young.Gardener123 (7b NC) (edibles, flowers; clay soil) - SunshineGal
Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs) - SunshineGal
****** 3 5 Adoptions ! ! ******
celticmommy (7 MD) (kidgarden,veggies,flowers,lettuce; containers) - SunshineGal

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 18:56

o

I am a newbie in zone 7 (Northern VA). Right now my garden interests are hot peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers. Thank you for your time. I have a major interest in super hot peppers.

o

I'm very new to this. I love drought tolerant foliage coming from the Texas panhandle. My grandparents moved out of the suburbs after retirement and I occupy their old home. Unfortunately, the yard is neglected and I'm honestly starting from scratch

I have raised beds, vertical beds, and freshly tilled garden beds. I've been mixing in plenty of organic matter into my soil. I really love flowers and gardening and would enjoy a vibrant garden grown from seed.

I would love to maximize every usable square inch in my south facing backyard for food production, and more flowers probably. but I think starting small with some peppers, kale, spinach, tomatoes, potatoes and some herbs. fruits are great too.

I appreciate anyone generosity and time. Thanks everyone for the abundant resources as well.

o

Hi, I'm a newbie here who would like to get my garden to replace my lawn... lower maintenance would be a plus. Also, have a large swamp in front of my house which might be good for some milkweed. Looking for both perennial flowers and vegetables to grow in full sun, zone 8.

o

Yes I am a newbie and I would love to be adopted. I love to play in the dirt and I currently have a few plants of my own. I have a mother of a thousand plant, coral carpet, jade, firestick plant, peace lily and others. I would love some help and advice on planting so that I can move up to other plants and flowers. I live in zone 6. Thanks so much for your time!

o

What a great idea! I would love to participate, as an adoptee, as I have nothing to share just yet.

My zone is a bit tricky. I live in the mountains of Southern Calif, just above 6K ft. Below 10F is not uncommon in the snowy months, and it sometimes gets as high as 85F in late Summer. Our trees are mostly pine, cedar, oak, and spruce, so the soil is quite acidic.

I try to stick to perennials, since we have such a short growing season. So far, I've done well with easy stuff like daffys and tulips. I planted my first hostas last year, but the darn gopher got 6/8 of them. I also have a half dozen fruit trees that we put in about two years ago (but no fruit yet), and a couple of tiny lilacs.

I've attached a picture of my back yard, just after we finished the fence and terracing. My Grandson and doggie were helping :)

o

I would love to be adopted! I live in texas, about an hour north of houston. Ive been wanting to grow veggies and fruits for the longest time, just have never got into it til now. Id also like to grow many types of flower. (Absolutely love flowers) and different types of unique plants.

o

CrazyCatMomma confirmed that she got her seeds so the adoption is complete.

Caryl

o

New to GardenWeb.
Moved from Zone 9 to Zone 7, so lost a good deal of my plants in the freezing and snow this past winter. Looking to rebuild my butterfly/bee gardens.

Also interested in herbs, veggies.
Thanks for considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

o

kilngod, I received my package today. Thank you so much for the seeds this will give me a great start! :)

o

Hi SunshineGal, thank you so much for adopting me! Just wondering, should I email you first or should I wait for you to email me? I'm not actually sure if you already emailed me because I never got an email.... :)

o

Hi, YoungGardener, I've sent you two emails through your GardenWeb email link on your page. It could be that it is incorrect, I'm not sure why it didn't go through. I will try once more. :) Why don't you go on my page and send me an email, then I can reply to it that way. Thanks!

Cathybt9 - should have received her seeds today
Celticmommy - sent two emails, haven't heard back from you yet - if you read this, please send me an email
Thewallawallain89 - sent two emails, haven't heard back from you yet - if you read this, please send me an email

This post was edited by SunshineGal on Thu, May 1, 14 at 19:29

o

http://www.gardenweb.com/members/sunshinegal?14043
This should be a link to my page :)

o

YoungGardener, I did get an email from you, but it says you choose not to reveal your email address, so I can't respond to it. :(. I can only send you messages through GardenWeb, which you are not getting for some reason. Maybe it's going straight to your spam folder or something? How about this - if all else fails and any of my adoptees aren't getting my emails, just send me your mailing address and I will take care of the rest. :)

o

• Posted by Cirrus Indiana, USA (5) (My Page) on
    Thu, May 1, 14 at 20:46

I still haven't received any email or reply from my adopter, could I be added back to the list? I checked my email address and it's correct, and the box to allow members to email me is checked as well.

o

Hi Everybody!
I am a newbie to GardenWeb but I have been gardening for years. I am looking forward to learning from you all and sharing/exchanging. I currently have a bunch of Jalepeno seedlings and Banana Pepper Seedlings starting and healthy on the sun porch. But I will have to learn how to ship/share them. lol I have a large garden and am always looking to try new plants. I have also just recently started flower gardening and am interested in learning about growing fruit trees and bushes. Hopefully someone will adopt me :) Looking forward to working with y'all.

o

I am brand new to this forum and new to gardening. I am having some success with one tomato plant and some huge sunflowers. I go to school and am on a very tight budget. I usually eat the standard college diet of Top Ramen and cereal so I'm trying to grow some edible plants and am finding it super exciting and addicting. I find myself peeking out the window 30 times a day to look at my plants or just sitting outside with them for hours. This is such a generous thing to do and I hope that next year I can be an adopter, rather than an adoptee. I live in the high desert part of SoCal, so the traditional awesome things grown in CA like avocado and oranges don't work for me. We have wind and very hot desert Summers, and maybe 70 freezing days in the Winter. (I guessed on that. Not sure how many freezing days we have.) I am grateful in advance. Thank You!!!

o

Hi, I am new to planting from seed and have had an absolute blast this year watching my seedlings grow. I have planted mostly veggies and herbs and can't wait to get them out in the garden. I am interested in heirlooms varieties and herbs as I would love to try collecting seeds and sharing myself. This year I will be sharing many of my plants as the germination rate was much better than I had expected but with few variety and small amount of space. Thank you in advance and for sharing all the useful information I have read on this site.

o

Young.Gardener123, I either put you on the list by accident or your GW show-email-to-members settings have been changed since then.

These email settings rules are there to solve this problem in advance. No harm intended on either end, but we will follow the rules to keep the rules being followed by the rest. You are removed from the list. I'll put you back on when the settings are fixed. Sunshine can readopt, or move on to another newbie (and someone else will pick up Young later when relisted).

All other newbies, if you have not already:
Email settings: please set them as directed.
State & zone posted in zone box as directed.

Too often newbies are missing these. Though I've been taking time to post notes to remind, I may stop that (as it is tedious tedious to do and may be encouraging folks to skip the directions). No harsh spirit about it meant, just survival on the admin end needed and rewards for reading, following, and making others' generosity easier. (Sponsors, know these rules too -- do not contact via GW forms. Know that there has been an error of some kind and the person is not adoptable.)

:) Now, carry on with all the good seed deeds and signing up. This is designed to be fun and work well. :)

I'll will update the list in a few days.
-Tina

o

I don't think it was my email, unless there was a website error...
I actually have had my email box checked, ever since I made my account because I read your instructions. Maybe I wrote it in incorrectly? I'll go check and post if it's correct. Sorry for forgetting to say that... :)

o

Nope, I put it in correctly. Maybe SunshineGal forgot to email or thought that the forum was where we would work it out.. If she does not respond in a week or so can I get a new Adopter please?

o

Oh, sorry for posting so many times, but I forgot to mention that I also emailed her from my account after I made the post about not getting the email without a response.

o

Young - You're missing the point. Please go to the top of this thread a read the parts about setting up your GW member page.

To restate it here, and elaborate a portion: You must adjust a setting there that allows members to see your email address. If you do not set it properly, no one can email you. The only way anyone can try to contact you is through a piggy back system in GW that often is not effective.

This is the reason for the rule.

Attached here is a screenshot that shows what a member sees when they want your email address.

photo ScreenShot2014-05-03at64022PM-1.png

...and then your email service won't even allow the pseudo-GW-email through to your junk folder because it looks like nutters spam.

Please carefully read the top 2 posts on this thread and find the bit that is not done.

When this is completed I'll add you to the list again.

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, May 3, 14 at 19:15

o

I just wanted to say thank you to kilngod for putting this together. Thank you SunshineGal for adopting me. I love the package you sent.

o

:) You are totally welcome, Cathy. Enjoy!

o

***Anyone who might adopt Cirrus, who signed up the longest ago....thanks! I'm reposting her original post next.***

Cirrus, most definitely yes. I see that there was a glitch as we changed threads. BunnyNomNom likely did not realize she'd actually adopted you. (She used conditional tense in her post, and then the thread changed so she may not have found us here to see that she did not need approval. She's also nearly new herself, a great new trader.) My apologies for the delay. We'll have this fixed in a jiffy.

Several newbies - details to attend and then we'll put all y'all on the list:

Bcmolle, please put "7 no VA" in your zone box.

Snaps109, please put "6 your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

Jhopgood, please put "8 your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

Plant_Lovers_Unite, please put "6 your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

Errant, please put "8 so CA" in your zone box. I would actually suggest "8 so CA high alt" or '8 so CA high desert". I'll still put the extra info in your list blurb when you're added to the list, but this extra info will help future traders quickly see your specialty conditions. Others with the same conditions will find you faster.

flip_ceballos, please put "8b your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

Caterpillarinn, please put "7 your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

. .

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
***Cirrus (5 IN) (tea/medicinal, succulent/cacti, trees; containers)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Mrs.Schulte (7 VA Peninsula)(flowers, fruit, veggies; trading process)
sdambr (7 NY)(heirloom veggies, herbs; seed saving, small garden)
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:
doggie_devotee (9 so CA high desert)(growing food, budget garden, flowers)

Cathybt9 (7 w WA) (heritage esp., veggies, medicinal, teas, herbs) - SunshineGal
celticmommy (7 MD) (kidgarden,veggies,flowers,lettuce; containers) - SunshineGal

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, May 4, 14 at 18:25

o

(From the first list..)

Posted by Cirrus Indiana, USA (5) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:24

"I've poked around many, many a day on the forums here, and finally made an account today. I would love to get an herb garden started this year. My interests are in tea and medicinal herbs, succulents and cacti, and trees. However, more than anything I enjoy surprises- so add "random/grab bag/any" to the list, too! I prefer indoor planting / potted planting, if this makes a difference. (But, I'm up for anything!)
Sad story time: When I was about 11, I had to move across the country about 2 months after I had 3 tiny maple trees start growing in a long trough-like pencil holder in my windowsill. My parents said I couldn't take them with us, even though I said I would hold them in my lap the entire way there (in the car!) I loved my "tiny trees". I planted them in my favorite hiding spot, but when I moved back to the area, construction had destroyed where I planted them. Ever since then, I've wanted to grow more trees but just can't seem to get them going... :( But, that hasn't stopped me from trying!!

Therefore, I am also looking for tips, advice, and suggestions on how to plant and maintain any seeds or plants provided me. Thank you so much for considering me!!"

Here is a link that might be useful: cirrus' page

o

hi
just wanted to say i sent off my package to fruitaholiclamb =)
they should be recieving it within a couple of days.

o

Just wanted to say that I fixed my email address. Sorry about the inconvenience. :)

o

I'd still love to adopt you when you're back on the list YoungGardener, if that's okay with you. :)

o

I would LOVE to be adopted. I am a newbie gardener and with funds being short and a family to feed it would be amazing to find someone to adopt me. Anything that whomever adopts me has to offer would be wonderful!

Here is a link that might be useful: member page

o
RE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 2

Zone 7 WA I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds, starts. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, thornless raspberry's.
I have currently growing radishes, walla walla onions, sweet peas, and corn.
I have several house plants, pothos, snake plant, small aloe, and a silver philodendron.

This post was edited by reblcntrygrl74 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:01

o

• Posted by Errant 8 SoCal Mountains (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:55

Thank you, Tina. I've updated my zone to read "8 SoCal Mountains."

This post was edited by Errant on Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:56

o

Aye, fixed mine as well

o

Just received my package of seeds. Thanks leilahamaya!

o

I will adopt doggie_devotee...

Doggie, I will email you shortly via GW. If you don't receive, please email me!

Thanks much!

Annie

o

I received a very nice seed package in the mail from Viking Princess today. Thank you so much for your generosity! I look forward to getting some of them into the garden soon!

o

Thank you so much for adopting me, Annie (canyonwind)!! I am so thrilled! I just replied to your email a moment ago.

Dianna :)

o

You're welcome, Cathybt9, so glad you liked it! I had a lot of fun putting it together. :) I also sent out envies today for Celticmommy and Thewallawallaian89, so be on the lookout!

o

Hello, I just wanted to say that SisterIndigo has adopted me and is sending out the seeds tomorrow! :D
Also, SunshineGal, I'm really sorry for inconveniencing you because I didn't see your post until after SisterIndigo packaged the seeds... If you readopt, then whoever that person is is going to be very lucky! :)

o

It's no problem YoungGardener123, I'm just glad it all worked out. :)

o

I'm new to gardening and would love to be adopted. My grandfather had a green thumb and I thought thatbinshould give this a shot. I have a one year old and am trying to teach him about eating healthy and green. I am interested in edible flowers and plants. Currently I have been searching for borage. I live in an apartment so my space is limited but the sunshine isn't. Thanks

o

Hi Tina, I've updated my info to list zone 10A, CA. I'm adopting Cirrus (from last thread), and would be able to send pmalagon88 borage if she/he wants.

My

o

I would like to be adopted. I'm new to gardening and Gardenweb.

I'm in zone 10B.

o

Received my seeds from kilngod! Thank you!! :)

o

• Posted by Cirrus Indiana, USA (5) (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 10:43

I forgot to report back!! D: BunnyNomNom has messaged me, we're good!

o

SisterIndigo has not posted here to adopt YoungGardener123 so I will leave Young on the list. Sponsors, please post here at the time that you are emailing the newbie.

Several newbies - details to attend and then we'll put all y'all on the list (reread 1st & 2nd posts for instructions):

kristina1234, please set your member settings to show your email address to members.

reblcntrygrl74, please put "zone your state abbreviation" in your zone box (see examples).

pmalagon88, please put "8b your state abbreviation" in your zone box & please set your member settings to show your email address to members.

Shorty_CA, please put "10b your state abbreviation" in your zone box.

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly, zone-pushing gardens)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
Errant (8 SoCal Mountains) (perennials, anything that will work, 6K+ ft alt, acidic soil)
Zone 9-10:

doggie_devotee (9 so CA)(growing food, budget garden, flowers) - canyonwind

This post was edited by kilngod on Sat, May 10, 14 at 16:49

o

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions.

We are having a lot of missing-of-the-details. We won't list a newbie if an important thing is missing in your sign up post. Likewise we won't list an off-list adoption. These are protections/insurances/facilitations.

o

I would love to be adopted. My interests are heritage seeds, starts. But will take any vegetable seed, medicinal,tea and seasoning herbs, thornless raspberry's.
I have currently growing radishes, walla walla onions, sweet peas, and corn.
I have several house plants, pothos, snake plant, small aloe, and a silver philodendron.

o

Retry-hope I get it right this time. :)

I live in central NC. Moved into a barren lot in the middle of pine forest with clay soil. We used to have a lush butterfly garden and are looking to build one at our home. My daughter is a beekeeper and is looking to add pollen, nectar plants to help her bees. We also have a pond that we would like to add some plants to. Starting from scratch. We have a small veggie garden as well. Would be grateful for any help getting started.

Thank you for considering.
Kelly

o

doggie_devotee, seeds went out yesterday. Enjoy!

Annie

o

Hi, I am new and interested in being adopted. I've grown for years, but have always just purchased seedlings from local stores. I really want to learn seed saving.

This is my first year in a new zone (5 - Kansas) having just relocated here from Wisconsin. Tips and hints on this hotter climate are appreciated.

o

Thank you, Annie (canyonwind)!!! OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!! I got the seeds you sent me. I am going to need a bigger yard. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I took everything out, spread it out on the table and just couldn't believe the amount and variety of seeds you sent me. Just WOW!

o

Hi, Im a newbie and interested in being adopted! I just started growing this year and I only have a few seeds! I live in Minnesota (zone 4)and I would LOVE a veggie garden! I would also love some advice on growing a garden! my email is graceann82@gmail.com

This post was edited by graceann82 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 8:22

o

I am new to this website and the seed exchange process. My main interest is any type of hot pepper, especially the superhots! Other than hot peppers, my garden contains tomatoes (my second favorite), eggplant, and bell peppers. Thank you for your time, wish me luck. Are there any extra large bell peppers out there that are good for stuffing? I am in Zone 7, Norther Virginia.

o

BUMPING!!!!!!!

o

Can I be part of this, as newbie status? I am most interested in hot and super hot pepper seeds, and any variety of heirloom/non-GMO tomato and pepper seeds.

Thanks!

o

I posted earlier about wanting to be adopted i fixed my profile so that my email can now be seen. sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to read this.

o

stevenms2007 (5 IN) (veggies, herbs, fruit; containers & new raised beds) - pdsavage~ Never got postage or address
ker06b (7 Ea NC) (cottage garden; full sun, part shade) - pdsavage ~ seeds sent

o

I live in Cave Creek,AZ zone 9. I have only lived here for a year. I'm from KY where I had 50 to 75 kinds of seeds on my trade list. Things are a lot different here! I water daily just to keep things alive. I would love to trade starts of cactus or blue century plant or 2 kinds of agave. Also have organ pipe cactus and others. But does anyone who grows flowers live near me. I would love to save seed here of flowers and have a trade list again! Can't mail cactus they are too heavy. I would love to be adopted!

o

Hi
I would love to get adopted as a newbie!
I love unusual flowers, vegetables and herbs!
Zone 7

Thank you
Olga :)

o

Newbies, bear in mind that adoptions might be slow for a few weeks. We are hitting the get-stuff-planted high season, when veteran gardeners are doing large volume gardening.

Some details to attend and then we'll put all y'all on the list:
graceann82, please put "4 MN" in your zone box. (Your email-show setting is correct. Feel free to edit out your email from your post.)

Artax97, yes, please put "6 your state abbreviation' in your zone box, and we can list you.

Oolga66, please put "zone your state abbreviation" in your zone box (see examples, directions above) and set your email settings to "show to members" (directions above).

Hi kristina1234, makeupartistaz 9: (You might reset that email setting so it only 'shows to members', as it is 'showing to all' which can result in you getting more spam.)

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
kristina1234 (4 WY) (Veggies, fruit, cottage garden flowers)
Zone 5:
Twotails (5 MA + greenhouse) (rare, exotic, unusuals; poison, smelly, zone-pushing gardens)
mpalzewicz (5 KS) (edibles, seed saving, sustainability)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
reblcntrygrl74 (7 w WA) (heritage seeds, veggies, medicinals,tea/seasoning herbs, thornless raspberry)
caterpillarinn (7 NC) (butterfly & bee garden, pond, veggies)
bcmolle (7 No VA) (Hot peppers, stuffing peppers, tomatoes)
Zone 8:
Errant (8 SoCal Mountains) (perennials, anything that will work, 6K+ ft alt, acidic soil)
Zone 9-10:
makeupartistaz (9 Cave Creek AZ) (new to desert growing, cacti, desert flowers)

doggie_devotee (9 so CA)(growing food, budget garden, flowers) - canyonwind

o

Going to adopt mpalzewicz
Contacting

o

Hi I'm SavySeed! I would love to be adopted! I first found my love for gardening when I was really little when I joined the Junior Master Gardner club at my local library! I love growing edibles because its so rewarding when you get to eat them, plus its a nice and healthy snack! I also like growing flowers that can be cut to make a pretty arrangement. Though I really enjoy any type of gardening those two would have to be my favorite. Please adopt me! :)

o

SavySeed, I would be happy to adopt you if you wish.

o

Hi all, I am a newbie here, but not to getting my hands in the soil. I live in a rural farm and have pretty much any environmental need. I did seek out as many heirlooms as possible in my current garden, but of course no seed yet to trade. I would love to grow any heirloom melon, pumpkin, pepper, non-pickling cucs, and squash. As flowers go, I love anything attracting hummingbirds or butterflies. I really would love milkweed for the Monarch on its journey. I have patience for the returning gifts of perineals, and the TLC for annuals. I would love to grow gardenia. I'm a lover of vining plants esp jasmine and sunflowers. I have a lot of freedom, as I just moved home, because my mom is on disability and loves her yard. She's not able to care for it so I have picked up the baton. Any help will be met with excitement, TLC, and intentions of paying this forward. Adopt me!! Thank you!!!

This post was edited by tnotter75 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 0:07

o

Hi, I think I am all set for seeds, so I would like to drop out of the list to give others a chance.
Thanks! :)

o

Would LOVE to be adopted. I am in heated Tampa, FL and have always grown from seedlings but variety is so limited down here. I would love any heirloom seeds for veggies and flowers.

Thank you.

o

-Zone 5A - West Des Moines, Iowa-

I would love any fruit or vegetable seed that grows well in clay heavy soil.

I would love to have someone adopt me, I just recently moved into an apartment and had to completely start from fresh. I had my first garden last year and loved it. If I ever end up with extra seeds I help another person (usually a child to teach them how to garden, find new interests, and help our future) and any extra produce I give to homeless shelters or families in need.

I'm 25 and one of the only people my age I know who loves to garden and help out. I would love a little extra help since I haven't been able to work since December due to hospital visits and surgeries.

Hope someone is willing to adopt me and help me (and others potentially) out!

o

Having not heard back from SavySeed at all, I'm basically forced to retract my initial offer to adopt that person, unfortunately. While I sincerely hope he/she is doing well health-wise, etc., at this point, I now offer to adopt another,...specifically StaceyVonWolf, if she accepts. - What say you, Stacey? Please email me from my member page if you're interested and let's get the ol' ball rolling. :)

o

Hi my name is Kristina, i posted earlier, but i am still looking to be adopted. Anything that you have at all to send would be absolutely amazing. Thank you so very much.

o

Hey everyone! I am a newbie to gardenweb (hoping to be adopted) and a newbie to growing plants in general. My fascination with plants really started last year when I went to Logee's greenhouse with my mom and decided to pick up some weird, "exotic" plants including a miracle fruit, fig, kumquat, orange and ric rac cactus. I gardened with my mom growing up as a child but it wasn't until visiting the greenhouses that I became obsessed with plants. I have been searching for more tropical/exotic plants that I can only grow in my house since I live in a northern climate (Connecticut) as well as "weird" and different fruits and vegetables that I can grow in the garden. I have ordered seeds from Baker Creek Seeds because I really believe in organic methods, I think Mother Nature appreciates it too :) I eventually want to turn this "addiction" and fascination of plants into a career where I have my own greenhouses and sell plants! Some plants that I am interested in are passifloras (any colors), unique hibiscuses, chocolate habenero, white soul alpine strawberry, and really anything else! Any help, advice, or seeds/plants I can get is very much appreciated, I'm sure most of you on here know what it's like to be so fascinated with all of the plants there are!
-Harrison Fearnley

o

Hmmm, I'm not having any luck with an adoption. I am new here and wonder if I have my profile set up correctly. Would anyone kindly check for me? I am eagerly waiting. Thank you...Trent

o

Hmmm, I'm not having any luck with an adoption. I am new here and wonder if I have my profile set up correctly. Would anyone kindly check for me? I am eagerly waiting. Thank you...Trent

o

I will adopt Kristina1234 and Graceann82. I just emailed you both through GW....email me your full name and address.

Thanks!

Annie

o

I am still awaiting adoption and I haven't been added to the list. Being new, I believe I had resolved any issues, please let me know if I need to do anything else. I'm in Zone 8 in the FL panhandle. Thanks!

o

I would love to be adopted if anyone is willing. I am a beginning gardener from Tennessee Zone 7b and started my first small garden in the back yard this spring and I am loving it. I am interested in mainly vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, lettuce or other greens, bush cucumbers, onions, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, bush beans, carrots, okra ect.) but would also be interested in herbs. Anything I can eat! :)

o

Hello,
I believe I got dropped off of the list at some point.... I was on for zone 6 near the top of this post, but got lost somewhere along the line. Kindly add me back on, please? Thank you!
Sarah

o

Hi! I would love to participate as an adoptee! I am new to GardenWeb I joined a couple of days ago. I have a huge passion for gardening, I recently started gardening after not doing so for about a year. So I am in need of seeds to add some variety to my new garden. I love growing veggies, fruits, herbs, trees, ornamentals, flower, you name it! I grow both indoor and out so I can grow just about anything all year round. I love growing in containers and in the ground and I have a good amount of space to work with.

This post was edited by GoingGreenForEarth on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 17:08

o

Newbie here wanted to be adopted. \O/
I just moved into a new home can't wait to start gardening. I'm interested in veggies and herbs. I'd also like to grow a lemon tree.

o

Graceann82 and I have touched base. I will get her seeds out today or tomorrow.

I have not heard from Kristina1234...email with your name and address ASAP, if you would like to be adopted.

Thanks much! Happy Gardening to all!

Annie

o

Hi I am a newbie to all this, I had posted on here about two days ago. I believe I may have been dropped because I cannot see my post on here. Anyways I have been gardening for about 5 years now, but had stopped for awhile and recently got back to it. I would love to be adopted by anyone willing to adopt me. I live in south Texas close to the border. I grow both indoors and out so I can grow just about anything. I have started a new garden so I am desperately in need of some seeds to fill it. I love growing all types of plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, herbs, ornamentals and trees. I am looking forward to hearing from someone!

o

Tried once before, and trying again. Have an interest in hots, super hots and anything unique, unusual or fun, to experiment with.

Thanks!

o

I need to be adopted! Please don't email me if you want me to adopt you. :( I just got at least 17 emails about people wanting to be adopted! :(

o

Graceann82...your seeds went out yesterday. Enjoy....please post when you receive.

Kristina1234 and I have touched base. I am headed out of town for a few days...will get seeds out Monday.

I will also adopt makeupartistaz. I will get seeds out to her next week as well.

SavySeed, is it possible that you checked the box to receive all of these followup posts? If you did......hit the "IF YOU NO LONGER WISH TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS MESSAGE CLICK HERE (look for it under the message box, just before the PREVIEW Button))....by doing that you should not receive anymore followup messages. Hope that makes sense.

Annie

o

SavySeed, I offered to adopt you but never heard from you. Not sure why. I repeat my offer, though, but you have to email me ASAP, okay? :)

This post was edited by cryptid on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 23:06

o

Hi all!! I would very much enjoy being adopted. I've posted here before. Just throwing my line out there again. :-) Thank you...Adopt me!!

o

Hi I am a newbie to all this, I've been trying to get adopted, but I just keep receiving messages about others who to be adopted as well. I believe I may have been dropped because I cannot see my post on here. Anyways I have been gardening for about 5 years now, but had stopped for awhile and recently got back to it. I would love to be adopted by anyone willing to adopt me. I live in south Texas close to the border. I grow both indoors and out so I can grow just about anything. I have started a new garden so I am desperately in need of some seeds to fill it. I love growing all types of plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, herbs, ornamentals and trees. I am looking forward to hearing from someone!

o

Kristina1234, your seeds went out yesterday. Please post when you receive.

Thanks!

Annie

o

Makeupartistaz seeds were sent on Wednesday, June11.

Graceann82, seeds were sent to you on Wed. June 4. Have you received?

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Hello, is there any way to find out where my name is on the waiting list? I know tis is an extremely busy time for everyone.

Thx!
Sylvia

o

I got the seeds a while ago but I couldn't post because my laptop wasn't working! thank you so much Annie! Sorry it took me so long to post!

o

Annie,
I received my seeds today and I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! I was soooo excited to open them up and as I started looking I got more and more ecstatic! Thank you very very very very much for the seeds and for adopting me I couldn't be happier! YOU'RE AMAZING!

o

Hi all. I've been trying to get adopted and had no luck. I feel like a freshman again at a frat party. Hehe. I'm no newbie to gardening. Focusing skills on heirlooms and just seed saving in general. I'm very new here. I'm a fast learner. I have a few heirlooms in my garden now. The whole garden was difficult at the 11th hour. I'm excited to learn and grow...thank you!!

o

Graceann and Kristina, glad you received! Enjoy!

Makeupartistaz, emailed me that she received her seeds.

I will adopt Shorty_CA as well.

Happy Gardening!

Annie

o

Hi! My name is Karyn and I love to garden. For some reason I just found this website and am so glad that I did. What I like to is plant fruits and veggies along with herbs. I am also looking to plant flowering perennial's for full sun to partial shade. I moved into a house that is new to me but has an overgrown/weed infested garden that I would like to transform.

Thank You.

o

Please? Any chance that I can get adopted as a newbie in this forum still? Am interested in hot and super hot peppers, heirloom tomato and bells, and any unique type of thing that is fun to grow.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by sdambr 7a Long Island (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 18:18

Hi, I am on the list waiting to be adopted and wanted to thank you all very much for doing this. I did get the newbie seed packet from Bakemom and was so thoroughly impressed and surprised by all the packets of seeds sent. I spent this past month looking up all the the variety of flowers I received. My garden is doing so wonderful at this moment and I have all the seeds I need or could use. I have become a seed addict and find myself lingering by the seed racks. Today at the Christmas tree shops they had all the seeds on sale, I picked up so many packs all between 25 and 31 cent each. I can be taken off the list at least as far as the seeds are concerned. I will be wintersowing this year and after I go through these packs, I will try to adopt someone myself. Thanks again for all this and I will try to go through what I have quickly.

o

Hi All,
I apologize for my delay in updating the adoption list.

:) Remember that I mentioned 'this is high season' for veteran gardeners, and many will be otherwise occupied. I will update the list this weekend. (Historically, adoptions are lower this time of year as we're all often running to keep up with our large gardens.)

*Trent, yes your account looks a-ok. I admire and appreciate your diligent posting.

Best,
Tina

o

I received my envelope from Annie. Thank you!

The envelope was full of very generous amounts of seeds.

Off to buy potting soil and have fun playing in dirt.

o

i am a newbie here and i want to be adopted interested in anything

o

First, my huge apologies for this delayed update. I know the newbies are biting at the bit to garden and the veterans are up to their eyeballs in planting something, harvesting, weeding to keep up.

Please, now that we are updated, Veterans please only adopt people from the posted list (or newbies you have very carefully double checked their requirements). See next post for details.

Newbies, if you have posted and are not on the list, you are likely missing info. You are listed below. (If it was long ago, it is in an earlier list above. I do not continue including these corrections as there are often as many newbies who do not include the required info, and do not get put on the list. Frankly, if I did carry them over, the correction list would be as long as the adoptions completed.)

Newbies & Veterans, if you are getting emails sent to you about people wanting adoptions --- it is because you clicked the box that said click here "if you want emails sent to you when someone posts." They are not emailing you, they are posting here on this thread.

Graceann82, SavySeed, StaceyVonWolf, HarrisonF, GoingGreenForEarth, Artax97, Shorty_CA, Karyn963 -- please put your zone + state in your zone box. See top posts here for details.

ImprovedSuz, please set your email so that members can see it, and put your zone + state in your zone box. See top posts here for details.

*Thanks, sdambr & Young.Gardener123! You are thoughtful dears. :)

*scobbs416, I am sooo sorry I accidentally dropped you on an update. You are back on!

*Hang in there tnotter75 & kristina1234. You'll get adopted eventually!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Fuzzy57 (5 MO) ( a n y t h i n g )
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
reblcntrygrl74 (7 w WA) (heritage seeds, veggies, medicinals,tea/seasoning herbs)
tnotter75 (7a TN) (heirloom veggies, hummer&bfly garden, seed saving)
rbreedi1 (7 TN) (veggies & herbs)
contessalouise (7a MD) (veggies, herbs, lemon tree:) )
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

mpalzewicz (5 KS) (edibles, seed saving, sustainable) - pdsavage
kristina1234 (4 WY) (Veggies, fruit, cottage garden flowers) - canyonwind
makeupartistaz (9 Cave Creek AZ) (new to desert growing, cacti, desert flowers) - canyonwind
****** 3 9 Adoptions ! ! ******

o

***Veterans -- Thank you for all the Newbies you have adopted, and will adopt in the future! We cannot do this without all of your efforts and your seeds!***

Veterans, now that we are updated, please only adopt people from the posted list (or newbies you have very carefully double checked their requirements).

We must remain fair to those who have followed the sign-up rules carefully and thoughtful to those who have been waiting for a long time. Adopting someone who just posted their request, or who on quick glance looks like a match to you may be convenient on the front end, but it means you must carefully check that the newbie has followed requirements (as I do before each update), otherwise you have just adopted someone who has not followed requirements while leaving someone on the list who followed them diligently.

The requirements are set to both help Newbies be more effective traders in the future, and to help make sure Veterans do not get 'no reply' or glitchy follow-through on the SABSE. If you pick someone who has not followed the rules, 1) you are more likely to get no response, no postage, and/or no thank you, 2) by posting to find them, you can contribute to the thread becoming a hunt-people-down place, 3) by showing the hunt-people-down things here, it can undermine the confidence of those involved, both newbies and potential sponsors, and discourages involvement on both ends.

The rules are meant to build this program up and make it effective for everyone. Please please please if a newbie is not yet formally on the list -- double check that s/he has posted their state & zone in their zone box, set their email to show to members, and has told us something of what they like in the post. (A want list is double good, but just in the post is a-okay, I summarize from that. They often do not know the best garden catch phrases yet and can only describe it in sentences.)

I am posting this to the group because those who have been waiting should know that this is being said, and to serve as a reference for the future. No hard feelings, and I know the longer the time between the updates, the more confusing the list and posts. My bad entirely. Please forgive me that, and lets get a few of these long-timer-newbies adopted.

Newbies in each adoption zone are listed in order of sign-up.

Wait about 5-7 days for a newbie reply. Some of these long timers may have given up and may not be checking this email often.

Thanks again & Best gardening to you all!
Tina

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 16:59

o

Trying this yet again - no clue why state wasn't showing...

ongoing list 2

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
NEW! Edit Post

Posted by Artax97 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:55

Please? Any chance that I can get adopted as a newbie in this forum still? Am interested in hot and super hot peppers, heirloom tomato and bells, and any unique type of thing that is fun to grow.

Thanks!

o

Hi I am a newbie to all this, I had posted on here a couple of weeks ago and was told today to put my zone and state in the zone box. My zone is 9 and I'm in south Texas. Anyways I have been gardening for about 5 years now, but had stopped for awhile and recently got back to it. I would love to be adopted by anyone willing to adopt me. I live in south Texas close to the border. I grow both indoors and out so I can grow just about anything. I have started a new garden so I am desperately in need of some seeds to fill it. I love growing all types of plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, herbs, ornamentals and trees. I am looking forward to hearing from someone!

o

Zone details are fixed.

o

i would very much like to be adopted am new and like anything indoors or outdoors

o

Hi! I'm new to both gardening and this site, and would really appreciate being adopted. It says in my profile, but I'm in Zone 4, Maine. I'm mostly looking for vegetable seeds, but I'm also very interested in hollyhock, foxglove, and columbine seeds.

o

Zone 6 newbie here looking to be adopted. I took on the task of rehabbing my parent's front and back yard last year so they will no longer be 'that' house. So far it's been going great and I would welcome any perennial (seed, seedling, whatever). Please adopt me.

o

I will email contessalouise today to see if she wants to be adopted. I will post the outcome.

o

Yes, yes I would! :)

o

Tnotter75 and GoingGreenFor Earth, I think I can help you both out with a few things. I just emailed you via GW. If you do not receive, email me with your full name and address.

Happy Sunday!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 14:20

o

Newbie looking to be adopted. Would love to learn the ropes and get started.

First year successful vegetable garden. Going to plant in all seasons. Would love to continue with community.

Thank you!

o

Hope i am posting to the correct place. I am a newbie. I would love to be adopted. I am mainly looking for seeds, working on container gardening for now. And will be expanding in the fall. I may also try my hand at a few flowers for visual appeal on my porch! Super excited i found this site. Haven't been able to put my iPad down since!

o

I can adopt you, klwallace12. I sent you an email.
Please contact me if you'd like seeds from me.
Thanks, Jen

o

GoingGreen and I have touched base. I will mail in the next day or two.

Tnotter75, have not heard from you. I resent to you, from my email, a copy of yesterdays GW email, just in case you did not receive.

Thanks!

Annie

o

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Fuzzy57 (5 MO) (anything))

Zone 6:
Artax97 6 MO hot/super hot peppers, heirloom tomato and bells, any unique type of thing that is fun to grow.
Mizzteek 6. Perennials.

Zone 7:
reblcntrygrl74 (7 w WA) (heritage seeds, veggies, medicinals,tea/seasoning herbs)
tnotter75 (7a TN) (heirloom veggies, hummer&bfly garden, seed saving) adopted by jensyen z7 MD
klwallace12 7b NC adopted by jensyen z7 MD
contessalouise (7a MD) (veggies, herbs, lemon tree:) )
contessalouise 7a adopted by jensyen z7 MD

Zone 8:
Errant (8 SoCal Mountains) (perennials, anything that will work, 6K+ ft talt, acidic soil)

Zone 9-10:
GoingGreenForEarth 9A South Texas. Anything and everything. All types of plants, veggies, fruits, flowers, herbs, ornamentals and trees. Adopted by canyonwind Z9.
Shogie 9 (veggies, all season gardening)

o

Added my zone and state and also updated my 'Want' list.

Thank You :)

o

Canyonwind adopted tnotter75. You have me adopting tnotter75 by mistake. I haven't heard back from klwallace12 yet. Waiting on contessalouise for address etc.

o

GoingGreen, your seeds are headed out today! Post when you receive!

Jensyen, thanks for catching the tnotter75 mistake. I have not heard from him. Tnotter75, email me with your name and address when you get a chance.

Karyn963, I can help you out with a few things. I will email you via GW. If you do not receive, please email me.

Happy Gardening!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 11:32

o

Karyn963 and I have touched base. Seeds will go out by Monday!

Thanks!

Annie

o

I would love to be adopted! As I noted in my personal blurb, we finally bought a house after years in an apartment. We've built two raised beds and are experimenting with our first veggie garden. I started with transplants for the tomatoes and peppers this year, but hope to grow from seed next year! We love all kinds of veggies especially tomatoes, winter squash, peas, beets, kale. Heirlooms and unusual varieties are welcome. Beyond the traditional veggie garden, we are very interested in sustainable landscaping and are hoping to (slowly) transform our lawn into something more sustainable and maybe even edible.

Thanks for considering me - and I hope I filled everything out correctly!

o

I just emailed ladyg76 to see if she wants to be adopted. Updates will follow. I still haven't heard back from klwallace12 yet. Waiting on contessalouise for address etc.

o

I never received an email from anyone checked here and found out I was adopted. I heard the email from GW has been intermittent lately. I attempted to email my adopter today to advise I'm still interested!! I HERE lol!!! I'm sorry and thank you for adopting me!!

o

My emails may be going to spam folders. I will send again, Klwallace12.

o

I'm a newbie in Middlesex county MA (Zone 5b+6a) looking to be adopted.

I'm retired engineer with small veg & flower gardens. I believe I'm a good student and apprentice. Would like to learn more and build a good base of seeds for me and others. Any help would be appreciated. If your in the area and/or zone that'd be nice but certainly not necc.

Regards,
Bob

PS: Orig posted adoption request in diff section (see optional links below) and was informed that this is where the adoption request should be.

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: HAVE: Newbie seed project - keep requests coming!

o

Just a follow up... I have the same problem as klwallace.. my settings should be right but I never got the message (though I use yahoo, not gmail). I've attempted to email the kind soul who was willing to adopt, so hopefully that goes through. I just didn't want anyone to think they were being ignored.

o

ladyg76, klwallace12, & contessalouise adoptions haven't come about. Not sure if anyone wants seeds.
Please contact me ASAP if you do.
ladyg76- Sorry, emails must be going to the cyber void. I didn't receive your email, either. I sent you a second email yesterday. Did you receive that email?
I sent a bunch of seeds to Bakemom last week. She sends newbies who post on her Newbie seed project post, 20+ seeds of her choice, for return postage.
Go to the link below if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: HAVE: Newbie seed project-keep requests coming!

This post was edited by jensyen on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:07

o

I will transfer this list to a new thread since we are very close to the 150 post limit. I'll then post the link to that new thread at the bottom of this thread.

Hmmmm...it seems that the site is not transferring the "zone + state in your zone box" to the 'posted by' line right away. It isn't just with Artax97, I'm seeing it now with many of the newbies. Oh gracioius, that is a downer. I'll try to figure out what is up.... Lealam, Mizzteek, Shogie, you are all in this bind. When we get it sorted, I'll add you. (Could you 'redo' putting this info in, just in case it makes some difference. Gracious, how many newbies has this happened to...)

:) xiangirl -- Thank you so much for updating the list!!

Zone 2-3:
Zone 4:
Zone 5:
Fuzzy57 (5 MO) ( a n y t h i n g, indoor or out )
Bob-MA (5b-6a MA) (veggies, flowers, seed saving, season extending)
Zone 6:
Artax97 (6 MO) (heirloom/non-GMO tomato, pepper, hot/super/bell)
Zone 7:
Zone 8:
Zone 9-10:

mpalzewicz (5 KS) (edibles, seed saving, sustainable) - pdsavage
kristina1234 (4 WY) (Veggies, fruit, cottage garden flowers) - canyonwind
makeupartistaz (9 Cave Creek AZ) (new to desert growing, cacti, desert flowers) - canyonwind
Shorty_CA (10b So CA) ( ) - canyonwind
contessalouise (7a MD) (veggies, herbs, lemon tree) - jensyen
tnotter75 (7a TN) (heirloom veggies, hummer&bfly, seed saving) - canyonwind
GoingGreenForEarth (9A So Tx)(indoor & out, nearly anything) - canyonwind
klwallace12 (7b NC) (veggies, flowers) - jensyen
ladyg76 (7a VA) (raised beds, veggies, heirlooms, edible landscape) - jensyen
Karyn963 (9a So CA) (friut, veggies, herbs, FS & PSh - canyonwind
****** 4 6 Adoptions ! ! ******

This post was edited by kilngod on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 18:33

o

Thread is full.

Go to the link below for the active thread, Adopt-A-Newbie list 3.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list 3

o

Thread is full.

Go to the link below for the active thread, Adopt-A-Newbie list 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list 3

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here