Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Has anyone ever grown azaleas as a houseplant?

highalttransplant
17 years ago

A couple of years ago, my husband gave me a couple of azaleas for Mother's Day thinking I could plant them outside. Well, here in Colorado, azaleas won't survive outside. It's not just a zone thing, they don't like our alkaline soil. Anyway, I put them in pots in the windowsill and they did very well. Even bloomed twice a year. However, I noticed the other day that one of them is losing quite a bit of its leaves. They are browning from the tips inward. Both plants are watered the same, though the one that is doing better is in a bit sunnier spot. There is a fungus gnat problem with some of my plants, but they have never bothered the azaleas before. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it? I have always loved them, as they remind me of springtime where I grew up, and would hate to lose them.

Comments (18)

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

I had the same problem. I had 3 different types - one large shell-pink, one red and one bi-color. I am young and single. I bought these for my own hobby. Half of the bi-color died. The red one also died. The reason is root rot. Do not use large pots for these. Once the declining symptom shows, it is kind of difficult to bring it back. My surviving ones are doing extremely well. They flowered constantly throughout the summer. I will just buy another red one this winter. They are like $4 each  cheap. They are so beautiful the Link.

{{gwi:100827}}

{{gwi:100828}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

High, I don't blame you wanting to save the azaleas. They are beautiful plants.
    Do you summer your azaleas outdoors? Not in the ground, but kept in pots?
    It's best to summer them outside..Then, come fall, I bring mine in around the first frost..within the month buds set. By Nov-Dec buds open.
    They need air circulation..Plants and fungus gnats don't mix. Although the soil should stay barely moist, it needs to dry out a bit. Too much and you'll find your plants acquiring bugs or rot.
    After flowering, I remove spent flowers..then repot, adding fresh soil, semi-high in peat. But I also add sand for drainage.
    Can you run a fan for a few days and let soil dry until gnats die? Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Has anyone ever grown azaleas as a houseplant?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The soil is not wet, but it is rather hard, so maybe it needs fresh soil. As I mentioned, the gnats are on some of my other plants, but they don't tend to bother the azaleas. It's funny, but I have always kept my houseplants indoors to protect them from pests. Mine usually bloom in Nov/Dec too. It actually has a couple of small buds that on it now that developed before this problem showed up.

If someone can tell me how I'll post a couple of pictures.

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

High, the only other thing I can think of is that these plants like cool temperatures (thus the reason I don't grow them in my home any more; my house is usually too warm for these beauties). But are your Azaleas placed in a cool location?

Have you also inspected for other insects/pests? Even indoors, insects will rear their ugly days. We carry them in unfortunately and they enter through windows, etc... Check carefully under leaves, up and down stems, where leaves and stem join, etc... Check also for spider mites. Place a white piece of paper under a leaf, tap the leaf to dislodge dust or mites (if present). Then look closely at the paper. If tiny dust particles are moving, you've got mites on the plant.

Other than that, Azaleas make wonderful houseplants. My children buy one every year for my mother for mother's day and they are constantly blooming in her home. She places them outside in the summer (in their pots) and keeps them indoors the rest of the year. Her rooms are individually controlled for temperature and she keeps her Azaleas in cooler areas of the house. They are doing wonderfully, growing like weeds and blooming regularly! No need to worry about them as houseplants if you can provide the care they need!

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Toni, mine do not set buds on a time schedule. Right now, they have fully opened flowers and developing buds at all stages. I am not sure why our experiences are so different. I think NY and IL have similar climate.

To post a picture:

Method 1, sign up with flickr.com, then copy the supplied code into the post.

Method 2, store your picture at your site, say http://www.yoursite.com/yourpic.jpg

Then, type in

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Shic, I don't understand why mine bloom when they do, but that's the way it's been for yrs. (S)
    I know they force Azaleas to bloom in nuseries which is why you can get one in bloom any time of the year now. Yrs ago, they'd only sell azaleas certain times of the year. Now you can find them in bloom July or Dec..it doesn't matter..I think once they have a cold period that forces them to flower. Just my opinion..Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

They have been "free-blooming" for me. They bloom all-year-round continuously. 1 to 3 long-lasting flowers at a time. Right now, there are open flowers and flower buds at all stages on my plants; all stages  from a bit plump green tips at the terminal of branches, to fat buds with pink tops.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, after much frustration I have finally figured out how to post a picture, so here is my ailing azalea. What do you guys think it is?

{{gwi:100829}}

{{gwi:100830}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

High, did you azalea suffer insect infestation? That's what it looks like to me. Toni

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If they did, they were too small for the naked eye to see. At least mine anyway, LOL. If you knew how bad my eyes were, that's not saying much.

Seriously, the only pests I know of are those nasty fungus gnats. Could they do this?

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

High, it's possible..I've read fungus gnats eat roots but don't know this for fact.
    At least there's growth on your azaleas. I'd not give up. What about fertilizer? Did you overdo it? One book states to feed 3 times a yr..another says once a month..how often did you feed?
    Spider mites are almost microscopic..the thing that gives them away is webbing. See any webbs?
    I'd hose the foliage, keep soil barely moist, set atop pebbles and water for humidity. Remove dead foliage. You can do this by shaking the plant.
    Are you certain your azaleas are Florist azaleas and not the hardy type that are deciduous? Toni

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No I'm not certain they are florist azaleas. I think my husband picked them up at Walmart. You know how they will have plants at the entrance around Mother's Day and other holidays. Honestly, I did not know there was two different types.

As far as fertilizer, I've always used one of those houseplant fertilizers that say you can use it everytime you water, though I tend to skip it during the winter months. If that was the problem, you would think they would have died long before now though.

There is definitely no webs, so we can probably rule out spider mites.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

High, if your dh bought the plant around a holiday, most like it's a florist azalea and can be grown indoors.
    There are several types of azaleas. I had literature about the differen types given to me at a flower show..
    I wouldn't fertilize in winter..do you think it could be fertilizer burn? Also, if the plants make it, I think I'd look for an acidic fertilizer, use as recommended. Or better yet, buy an Azalea fertilzer. It doesn't need to be applied as often and contains the necessary nutrients for these plants. You can also use this fertilizer on hydrangeas, gardenias, citrus, camellias, or any acid loving plants. Toni

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Highalttransplant,

Hey, I am the person who posted the pictures above. I would say Azaleas seldom need fertilizer. Your plant could have suffered fertilizer burn. You plant may die as a result. There is little you can do.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I just had to post this picture as my way of saying never give up on a plant that looks like it's dying!!!

I removed all of the affected foliage, treated it for fungus gnats, and used an azalea fertilizer once.

{{gwi:100831}}

The other one, that didn't look quite as bad, is now developing buds on it : )

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

Oooh, she looks absolutely stunning! Your planter is gorgeous, too. Kudos to you!

GH

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

Highalttransplant, your Azalea is loverly. You are right about not giving up; plants have an amazing 'will to survive' and can sometimes return from the 'brink of death'. Enjoy your gorgeous Azalea. I hope it blooms for you soon!

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

I like these too. I am glad to learn about your good news. Check out my post. Thanks.