Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayourose

Kordes roses--differences?

bayourose
9 years ago

There has been a lot of discussion about how good Kordes roses are with disease resistance. I would like to try some of the newer disease resistant roses but I'm not sure about the differences between them. There are the fairy tale series, the veranda series, and the vigorosa series. Could someone enlighten me on the differences and maybe share your experiences with them and also which are your favorites and possible suggestions of which one to start with? Thanks in advance!!!!! Happy fall everyone! Looking forward to the fall flush of roses!

Comments (7)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I only have Cinderella Fairytale from those series, but she is so great! She actually blooms a whole lot, but it took her a few years to start doing that.

The only thing other than being patient with her is that she also gets much bigger than she seems like she would at first. I had her in the ground and everything, but she was much less vigorous and floriferous when young. Now mine is tall and also "pegged" to arch (not all the way down to the ground) so she's a standout :)

She did get more BS with our oddly cool, dewy summer this year. Usually I don't have to spray her at all. I still didn't spray her this year and she has enough good leaves for sure, but the yellow ones are visible and could bother some folks. I just pick those off.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

All of the Vigorosa series are short. Some are ground cover type, others are more shrub like. Palatine has a good selection and their description of habit is useful for sorting out the two types; look for Shrub form: upright or spreading. I really enjoy my Toscana Vigorosa, which is of the groundcover type. The color is bright but not garish and blends well with other colors. The canes grow very long and would be well suited to drape over a wall, or could be trained along a low fence. The leaves are so shiny they resemble holly. I do spray, Toscana stays perfectly clean. If you're looking to avoid blackspot, I'd steer clear of Purple Rain, which is a Kordes though not a Vigorosa. Even with spray mine defoliated, and the blooms fried in the sun. Truly the worst rose I have ever grown.

I don't know the Veranda series and the only Fairly Tale I've tried is Caramella. I did not have a good experience with Caramella. The blooms had very short necks so you get this crowded cluster. They are very full and the petals are delicate. In a wet summer this equals mush. Also the Japanese Beatles Loved this rose! They burrow among the closely packed petals and make such a mess. I couldn't keep up with hand plucking and the blooms are so light the bugs foul them as soon as you turn your back. Insecticide was worse, it damaged the delicate petals and left dead bugs wedged deep inside the blooms. I haven't put it on the burn pile yet but notice I speak of it in the past tense.

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent information! Exactly what I was looking for! With all the roses to choose from, it's hard to make a good decision, but with helpful information from personal experiences, it sure does help!

Prettypetals---Cream Veranda is now on the list! I am very excited to try it and I have seen your roses and they are to die for! Thank you so much for this recommendation. The color will go with anything! Yea!!!!!

Meredith---Cinderella fairy tale was one of the ones I was looking at purchasing. Glad to know that she takes her time to get established and that she may outgrow the spot I had for her. I am still considering her, but the information you gave helps me so much in planning for spring roses! thanks so much!

Ratdogheads---Toscana vigorosa looks beautiful in pictures and I do have a fence I could drape it on. good to know the growing habit of this one, cause I would have never thought I would be able to drape it. excellent idea! I have never had any luck with lavender or purple roses for some reason they just don't like my gardening conditions (hot and humid) but I am a sucker for a purple rose and I wanted to try one just in case it wasn't as high maintenance as some of the others. I will definitely steer away from purple rain. Louisiana is black spot haven and I try to stay away from the ones that tend to black spot. thanks for the heads up on caramella fairy tale. although I haven't gotten Japanese beatles yet, we have every other kind of insect you can imagine and there are some roses that just tend to be a magnet for bugs. yuck! we have a bug called the lovebug, and although it doesn't do damage to roses, they land on the light colored roses and burrow in the petals til the rose looks like a black ugly mess! They are nasty bugs that will take the paint off your cars if you don't hose your car off daily!

Great information and any other information is gladly welcomed! I love this website! it is so helpful!

thanks again----Shannon

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Shannon I forgot Poseidon. It's a gorgeous vintage purple. Mine gets a good 4 ft tall but the blooms last forever and blooms quite often. Have fun adding all your new choices. I'm sure whatever you choose will be just perfect. Thanks for your kind words. Judy

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Hi,

My little bit:

You mentioned your awareness of the fairy tale series, the veranda series, and the vigorosa series, but there are very interesting very recent Kordes roses that are not part of a series. They are classed as shrubs, floribundas, and hybrid teas.

In the thread: Hybrid Teas - No Way! the poster, newroses (whom I deduce is someone with a personal connection to the American Kordes operations) wrote that there are "trials going on the Kordes HTs in both Houston and Orlando Fl so we will let you know how they do as we get data. Savannah so far has done very well in Houston."

'Savannah' is a hybrid tea rose and newroses' statement means that 'Savannah' is getting good blackspot resistance reports in the Houston area. I've heard this report from another source as well.

'Poseidon' mentioned by prettypetals is a floribunda.

Kormelaus (I use the breeder designation because it is HIGHLY unlikely that it will be called 'Sonnenwelt' in the US), is classed as a "shrub." Kormelaus isn't available yet, I just mention it as example of a shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kormelaus

• bayourose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy, Poseidon is one that I have on the list to try because I have heard good things about this rose. good to know that you have had such good luck with this rose! Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions! I hope to have bouquets of roses as pretty as yours one day!

Thanks to all for the information, it is much appreciated!
    have a rosey day! Shannon