Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morrisnoor

Take a look at my garden ... past summer and fall pictures!

morrisnoor
16 years ago

Hi guys! :o)

waiting for the full explosion of the new flowering season this spring (I'm so excited to see some recently planted roses in their "first full" flush!), I would like to share with you some picture of the past season in my garden, especially those taken in summer and autumn. I hope you'll enjoy :o)

Here's the link of the past spring pictures:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg060531384580.html

And my first thread about the garden here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0209305130534.html

I want to start with a early june picture, so peaceful and quiet atmosphere in the garden, you can't resist to seat and contemplate... no work is allowed!!

{{gwi:245002}}

June is a strange time of the year. There's something lost, the freshness and youth of spring, but also something new who's coming to show, especially some light effetc in the evening. I left the garden alone from an half of the month, having my trip to the Chaalis Heritage Rose Conference in France. But the garden has waiting me like a good puppy....

A view to the water pool, reflecting the surrounding area, with blue Vitex agnus castus to the right, and the always lovely 'Mlle Franziska Krueger' to the left.

{{gwi:245003}}

Another pretty little miss, 'Kronprinzessin Victoria' (SDLM sport) in the silver-gray background of Calocephalus brownii

{{gwi:245004}}

Amongst the best companion plants for Roses in hot dry climates, are the Iris lookin' southafricans, Dietes.

Both Dietes grandiflora

{{gwi:245005}}

And Dietes bicolor

{{gwi:245007}}

are very attractive and resistant plants. Their clumps of evergreen, narrow foliage are a very good counterpart to the rounded shape of Teas and Chinas' shrubs.

Roses are lovely even when temperature rise towards 30 C and above

Austin's 'Queen of Sweden' is also a queen for more southern kingdoms ;o)

{{gwi:245009}}

But we all know that the truly Queens are Teas... another picture of 'Mlle F. Krueger'

{{gwi:245011}}

I have a special passion for Chaste Trees.... the Vitex agnus castus' pale pink version is shown here, with grapevines and cardoons in the background

{{gwi:245012}}

A vista of the lower entrance to the "white and blue mediterranean garden"... ok...the path is a little bit engulfed by the plants... lol

{{gwi:245013}}

The little greenhouse and working shed's roofs in the background are now almost completely "eated" by 'Cooper's Burmese', 'Lamarque' AND 'Purezza'... (flowering pictures ready in a few days ;o)

.... more coming soon ;o)

Ciao!

Maurizio

Comments (23)

• veilchen
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely stunning! It must be heaven there.

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

Ahhhh...gorgeous pics. I remember your past posts. So glad those past pics are still there. I love your choice of colours in the garden.

Looking forward to see more pics. Sadly for me, winter is approaching...

• jerseywendy
    16 years ago

WOW! Paradise! How idyllic and beautifully planned.

---
    Wendy

• patricianat
    16 years ago

What beautiful pictures of a gorgeous garden. I love your Vitex, the irises and the beautiful secret garden made so by your roses and plantings. Absolutely stunning! The view is splendid.

• bamabutterfly
    16 years ago

Oh My! Your garden is a true work of art. Absolutely gorgeous.... thank you for sharing.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

What a great gardener you are to create such beauty.

• carla17
    16 years ago

I love your garden, so beautiful that it's hard to describe. Thank you for sharing.

Carla

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I am SPEECHLESS---You live in Paradise.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Florence

• nearlywild
    16 years ago

Wow! what a beautiful garden. You are making all of us want to come to your home for vacation .

• dmg2242
    16 years ago

Your garden is absolutely lovely and so peaceful looking.

I love Italy and hope to return some day. You've reminded me what a beautiful place it is!

Denise

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

I do enjoy looking at pictures of your garden, so beautiful, both restful and exhilarating. No idea how you do it, but I admire the effect.

• jerome
    16 years ago

Maurizio, I have said it before, I'll say it again...I wish people would take those photos and make a picture book out of your garden. It is so beautiful that just looking at the photographs you post brings me peace of soul. What an artist.

Jerome

• LindyB
    16 years ago

Truly inspiring! I would love to contemplate a good book in your pool garden. I can feel the warmth of the sun just looking at the photos. I'd never want to leave home if I lived there.

Linda

• aprille
    16 years ago

Maurizio, your garden is such a work of art. I love seeing pictures of it and always look out for your posts. Words can't describe how beautiful you have made it. It looks so welcoming and relaxing. Thank you for sharing your bit of paradise with us.

Aprille

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I want to sit in that chair and just inhale the fragrance and look at the beauty surrounding me, Maurizio. You have such a good eye for what plants to use and their placement. Your garden is stunning and I agree with Jerome, looking at it soothes the soul.

Carol

• luanne
    16 years ago

Well, that is very fine indeed and you can feel the strong soul of that garden and of the gardener. What you have done is very rare. My special favorites are the iris and the pool of course but the whole thing is extraordinary. No work allowed...it has already been done.
    la

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Maurizio, it's difficult to describe how wonderful your garden is, although others above have done a very good job of that. You are a master at what you do. I'm already looking forward to this year's pictures. Please don't ever leave this forum.

Ingrid

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi my friends,
    thank you so much for comments! They made me really proud and happy :o)
    I would really want to have all of you here, and enjoy togheter the garden. Somethimes I feel like I'm alone, in the very middle of the desert. People come here, take a distract look and start comment about the olive trees ("they are too high, you must to prune them... or you'll never been able to pick the olives") or, in front of my 7x7' 'Odorata', about all that "old wood on your roses... if you cut them hard, they will flourish with new basal shoots..." ... and more, lookin' at that 'Mme Alfred Carrière' eating the pergola and covered in gorgeous blooms... "those leaves are rather pale... the stems are very short and the flowers nod: have you fertilized her?" ... And what about all these erbaceous "weeds" covering the earth?...!

I enjoy the moment when a real garden lover knock at my garden's door... or look at his pictures ;o)

So, let's continue...

Bearded Irises and Roses, the best companions ever: 'Iris 'Bonnie Davenport' and Rosa 'Odorata', with Rhynchelythrum repens (Red Natal Grass) in the foreground:
    {{gwi:245014}}

More 'Mlle F. Krueger' and Vitex in late June
    {{gwi:245015}}

Daylilies are good plants for the dry garden in early summer, just after the first, main flowering flush of roses in April-May. Hemerocallis 'Loving Memories' with 'Blue Spire' Perovskias.
    {{gwi:245016}}

Ciao!
    Maurizio

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I have Iris growing with my roses and think they are a lovely combination. Your Bonnie Davenport is very pretty. Your Blue Spire Perovskias is beautiful with the daylily.

Carol

• luanne
    16 years ago

Maurizio, I am so sorry for those people who haven't the sense to be still and drink in all the beauty before them when they see the wonder you have created. I am so happy you have the sense to just ignore the Philistines and honor your own inner instinct because it is a very liberated aesthetic that you have. Congratulations on so much beauty.
    la

• jeff_zephyr
    16 years ago

Wow! Just looking at those pictures gives me a sense of calm. Congratulations on such a wonderful garden. I have also interplanted German and Dutch irises in my new HP plot. Hopefully, it will turn out as beautifully as yours.

Jeff

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I'm always really happy with my Beardes Irises, they are so easy to grow and drought resistant... the foliage is a bonus too, even when they aren't in flower! A very good plant who's good to collect :o)

Luanne, you're always so sweet! Thank you so much!

Jeff, it will be, for sure ;o)!

I have to go quick.... I have already a ton of this year's pictures to show you...!

By the mid of July, temperatures warms up to 40 °C for many weeks, with no rain at all. Only drip irrigation systems and heavy mulch on beds allow the garden to EXIST (!), not only to grow and flower in the heat, even when the surrounding landscape is burning in the whorst drought since many many years (take a look at the link above, where you can see many picture taken in the hills near my garden showing the very bad damages in native "macchia").

'Le Vésuve' defy heat and drought...
    {{gwi:245017}}

When rain come in early october, it brings to life the garden...
    Rain help 'Cardinal Hume' to show his best
    {{gwi:245018}}

Many Austin's like rain, too... 'Redouté' (Mary Rose pale pink sport)
    {{gwi:245019}}

'Tamora'
    {{gwi:245021}}

A different light, and different colours in the garden...
    {{gwi:245022}}

{{gwi:245023}}

I'm really surprised that I didn't read more often in the Forum about this little exquisite beauty, 'Rival de Paestum'.

{{gwi:245024}}

{{gwi:245025}}

{{gwi:229171}}

Autumn is also time for... Grasses! And Grasses looks fabolous with Teas and Chinas...
    {{gwi:245026}}

{{gwi:245027}}

{{gwi:245023}}

... Well, I think I've finished the tour!

Ciao! :o)
    Maurizio

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

So lovely, Maurizio!

We didn't meet in Chaalis - I am so sorry! I was there, with a terrible case of laryngitis. It was frustrating to be with rose people from 22 different countries, and barely be able to make a sound.

Your photos make me appreciate how beautiful a bit of lawn can be. And, I've never seen grasses and roses combined so beautifully.

I'm glad that you are wise enough to ignore the foolish comments of visitors. We hear it in the cemetery all of the time - "Why don't you prune your roses?" they ask. We do, of course, but not in the manner that people expect!
    Anita